5 Stages of Project Management Process in eLearning Course Development [Infographic]
Project management process is like a map that guides you through the terrain of eLearning course development. It has 5 stages that keep you on track, help you avoid pitfalls, and deliver successful eLearning courses. Read on to know more about them.
Charles is the lead eLearning developer at a large company. His company has recently decided to invest in new eLearning courses to train its employees on the latest industry trends and technologies. As the lead developer, he has been tasked with overseeing the development and delivery of these eLearning courses.
As he begins the project, he quickly realizes that developing an eLearning course is a complex and multifaceted process that requires careful planning and coordination. With a tight deadline, limited budget, and high expectations from the stakeholders, he knows that effective project management is crucial for the success of this project.
And if you’re wondering why? Here’s the answer.
Importance of Project Management in eLearning Course Development
Project management is essential for the successful completion of any project, and this is especially true for eLearning course development. By having a clear project management process in place, you and your team are able to establish clear goals and objectives, set timelines, and assign tasks to specific team members. In turn, all these elements help you design effective and immersive eLearning courses by ensuring that everyone is on the same page and is working towards the same goal.
Apart from the already mentioned elements, these instructional design strategies are something you shouldn’t miss!
To add to that, regular meetings and progress tracking allow for any issues or concerns to be addressed in a timely manner, and adjustments can be made to the plan as needed. Without a strong project management process, projects are more likely to experience delays, cost overruns, and ultimately fail to meet the expectations of stakeholders. Investing time and effort into a strong project management process will ultimately lead to more successful and efficient project completion.
Now that you know the importance of project management in eLearning course development (and in general, too), you can certainly commend Charles for his foresight, area of focus, and timely decision-making ability.
Curious about what Charles does next? Well, he continues to focus on the project management process in eLearning course development, diving deep into the nitty-gritty of each stage to ensure the best possible outcome. You must be thinking that the phrase “project management process in eLearning course development” has been on repeat for quite some time now, but what is this process all about? What are the different stages? And some other questions too.
So, the wait is over.
5 Steps of Project Management Process in eLearning Course Development
Given below is an informative, well-designed, high-quality infographic that enlists the 5 stages of the project management process in eLearning course development and contains a detailed explanation of each stage.
The Benefit of Each Stage in the Project Management Process
Now that you know what the 5 stages in eLearning course development are, it’s time to explore the benefits. The five stages of the project management process in eLearning course development provide a structured and efficient approach for developing an eLearning course. Here we have the benefits of each stage:
- Initiation stage: By clearly defining the project scope, objectives, and deliverables in the initiation stage, your project team can ensure that they are focused on the right goals and that they have a clear understanding of what is expected of them. This helps to prevent scope creep and ensures that your eLearning design and development project stays on track.
- Planning stage: The planning stage is an important one as it helps you ensure that the project schedule, budget, and risk management plan are realistic and attainable. With that said, it also offers your project team a clear idea of what needs to be done and when. This saves you from delays and cost overruns, thereby making sure that the eLearning design and development project is completed on time and within budget.
- Execution stage: By focusing on building the course during the execution stage, your project team works toward ensuring that the eLearning course meets the needs of the stakeholders involved and that it is technically feasible. Furthermore, it helps you ensure that the course developed is of high quality and is effective in achieving its desired goals.
- Monitoring and controlling stage: The monitoring and controlling stage helps you in keeping your eLearning design and development project on track. It also enables you to stay aligned with the learning objectives of the course and meet the deliverables defined in the project charter.
- Closing stage: The closing stage helps to ensure that the eLearning course is finalized and delivered to the stakeholders. This stage guarantees that the course is of high quality and that it will be effective in achieving its goals. The project evaluation also helps to identify lessons learned and make recommendations for future projects.
Wrapping It Up!
The project management process in eLearning course development is a vital tool for ensuring that the course is delivered on time, within budget, and to the satisfaction of the stakeholders. The five stages of the process are initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and controlling, and closing. By planning and following these stages diligently, Charles and his team ensured that the courses were of high quality and effective in achieving their goals. Well-planned project management process helped them affirm that their eLearning courses were a success and that the learners acquired the necessary skills and knowledge they needed to be successful in the industry.
Intrigued to design and develop eLearning courses? Here’s a little recommendation from Charles — an eBook on instructional design strategies that is sure to help. So, check it out now!