Various studies have shown that induction training directly affects employee attrition rate. It is a well-known fact that more than 25% of new employees decide to stay with or quit an organization in the first week of their stint. Employee training is very important for the organization, and delivering an effective induction training program to new employees who join the company should be its first priority.
The main purpose of induction training is to integrate new employees into the company and make them understand the systems and procedures followed by the organization. Induction training helps new employees settle down quickly in the new work environment, and gives them a sense of belonging.
Let’s now look at the benefits of induction training, both from the perspective of the firm and the new employee.
Benefits of effective induction training to the organization
- Saves a lot of money and time: Induction training is the first training program in which the employee participates after he joins the organization. Induction training provides him all the information needed to start performing his duties. If an employee is trained well in the induction program, he can easily adapt to his new role and start delivering results quickly – that’s how it saves the organization a lot of money and time.
- Reduces employee turnover: People join a company with a lot of expectations, and at the same time, they have lot of questions about the organization. All these queries must be answered in the induction training. Ineffective induction training leaves new employee confused about the job. Employees may feel frustrated and helpless, if they are not trained properly. On the other hand, effective induction training goes a long way in increasing staff retention rate and reducing employee turnover in a big way.
- Ensures operational efficiency: A good induction training program covers all aspects of the company thoroughly. It helps new employees become familiar with the organization’s work culture, vision, mission, and goals. At the same time, new employees understand their own role in achieving the goals of the company. This will help enhance the efficiency of employees quickly, as they adjust to the work culture of the organization and get involved in their job. Overall, it greatly helps increase the operational efficiency of the organization.
Advantages of proper induction training to the new employee
- Makes the new employee feel respected and valued: Good induction training gives a warm welcome to the employee and focuses on clarifying all his doubts about the organization and his job. It ensures that the new employee feels comfortable in the organization. It also makes him feel that he is welcomed, respected, and valued. This motivates the new employee greatly.
- Provides the necessary information: A comprehensive induction training program helps the new employee get all the necessary information about the company and clarifies the organization’s expectations on him. This helps him understand the culture, work norms, policies and procedures of the organization, and thus enables him to quickly adapt to the work environment.
- Helps in establishing good communication: Induction training helps the new employee in establishing good communication with the organization. As part of the induction training program, the new employee is introduced to his direct supervisor, other employees, leads, and directors of the organization. This makes him more comfortable when he has to communicate with them later.
A good induction training program facilitates seamless integration of the new recruit, enabling him to contribute to the organization effectively. Thus, it benefits the company as well as the new hire. What do you think?
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in December 2013 and has appeared in Learning Design Category whereas now it is updated in Training Solutions Category.