The difference between a good e-learning course and a mediocre one is its ability to engage an audience. Sure, anyone can put together a bunch of information compiled from various sources, but what makes raw data absorbable learning is its ability to hold people’s attention. Your course should pull learners to grasp information. The knowledge that a course is trying to convey should come off like a believable and memorable story for learners. In order to achieve this, you need to have a skilled team of instructional designers and learning experts.
Below are some of the factors that Instructional Designers consider to make a course more interactive and engaging for their users.
- They keep the course relevant to the learners. Nothing bores learners more than a course cramped with unnecessary information.
- It is crisply designed, keeping in the mind the learning objectives to retain learner interest throughout.
- They use tried and tested educational technology and instructional design strategies to create a course that feels like learning from a real person. They make extensive use of the various strengths of the digital medium. Using captivating visuals, video-elements, voiceovers, graphics, and game-based content, they create a visually and aesthetically appealing course.
- Employing something as simple as keeping the navigation control in the hands of learners can produce a lot of positive moments between the learner and the course.
- Using these elements, it is proven that users experience better knowledge retention and recollection, thereby increasing the effectiveness of your e-learning program.
Putting together an internal team proficient to do all this can be a daunting task, hence it is best to hire an e-learning vendor who has the required expertise. Selecting an e-learning vendor who can take into account all the necessary factors to make your course engaging is of great importance. Below are some of the things on which the ability of the e-learning vendor to create engaging content depends on:
It is rightly said that experience is the best teacher. An e-learning vendor who has been in the game long enough obviously knows all the ropes of the business and can deliver a better output. E-learning being a lucrative industry to get into, there can be a lot of new players hastily trying to setup shop. But they might lack the skills and expertise necessary to develop a captivating course.
Master of One
Many players out there have e-learning development as just one part of their bigger setup. Such firms don’t have highly experienced and skilled workforce as e-learning is not their core business. Diluted expertise means diluted attention and a weak course overall.
All the creativity aside, developing an e-learning course is an extensive task involving a lot of stages and man hours. That’s why it is essential that your e-learning vendor has a strong production process in place. A production process will have appropriate scope to provide client feedback, along with many rounds of revision. This can help fine-tune the course to a great extent. A production process ensures that your vendor did not get lucky with a single course, and can deliver the same high-quality content like clockwork.
Before zeroing down on an e-learning vendor, always do your due diligence of checking their previous work. Each firm is capable to delivering a particular level of customization and engagement. Seeing their previous work will give you an idea of their abilities, helping you decide whether it is enough to fulfill your objectives and requirements.
Creating engaging content is not an accident or a blind stroke of luck. It is a measured science, combined with bouts of creativity, executed by the right people. Selecting the right e-learning partner can go a long way in giving your learners the highly engaging and impactful e-learning content they deserve. Better engagement means better skill development, which will mean increased profitability.