Microlearning has been ruling the eLearning industry for quite some time now, and rightly so! This approach, which involves chunking down large content into bite-sized, easily consumable learning units, appeals to modern learners.
The increase in mobile learning for corporate training and the concept of BYOD – Bring Your Own Device – for better convenience and flexibility triggered the growing shift from macro learning to microlearning. And though microlearning has been around for quite some time, it now has a new and better avatar – especially with microlearning videos.
So, what exactly are microlearning videos?
Simply put, microlearning videos are short, engaging videos focused on a single learning objective used to deliver training. The key idea here is to develop small and focused video learning content to meet a specific learning outcome. This way, the learning units become accessible, easy to learn, and engaging at the same time.
There are two ways to develop microlearning content –
- As a part of the entire, bigger learning path or eLearning curriculum
- As a standalone unit that is designed to achieve a specific learning path
But how to use microlearning videos for corporate training?
Contemplating on How To Include Microlearning Videos for Your Corporate Training?
Here are four ways to do so –
- Engaging Videos for Compliance Training
- Instructional Video for Data Protection
- Interactive Videos for Onboarding
- Explainer Videos for Product Training
Let us discuss, but before that, here are a few advantages of microlearning videos
Benefits of Microlearning Videos
Benefits from a Learner’s Perspective
- Microlearning videos make for an engaging, immersive learning experience.
- They make learning easier – they can be consumed on the go and yet, they keep the learning focused and specific. This makes learning and application much easier.
- Learners can use them to learn at their own accord and pace based on their requirements.
Benefits from an Organization’s Perspective
- Microlearning videos are an excellent choice for organizations trying to make their corporate training learner-centric and engaging.
- Since the microlearning videos are short and focused, they are ideal for rapid eLearning development. It is faster, more economic, and more convenient to develop and update them.
- Considering that microlearning videos are developed keeping a specific learning objective in mind, it is easier for the learners to understand, recall and retain better. These, combined with faster development and cost efficiency, microlearning videos result in higher training return on investment (ROI).
Know how we used microlearning assets to help this pharma company with its sales training
Now that you know the benefits, let us discuss the different ways you can use microlearning videos for training.
4 Ways to Use Microlearning Videos for Corporate Training
1. Engaging Videos for Compliance Training
Compliance training can be complex but it is also very important that the employees are fully attentive during the training and be able to apply this very learning when required. Considering this, it is a good practice to make the training more engaging. Microlearning videos can be ideal for this. They are focused and engaging, and the format makes it easy for the learners to recall and retain the training delivered. This facilitates learners to deliver high-quality deliverables and the cost and time on quality check is also minimized which adds to the training ROI.
2. Instructional Video for Data Protection
Data security breaches and issues such as hacking are major problems faced by global organizations. So, as a part of their many initiatives to curb the issue, organizations provide awareness and training to employees on the latest threats, different tricks used by hackers, tips to handle threats, etc.
Using microlearning videos to deliver this training can prove to be more impactful. Interactive and short microlearning videos are developed and distributed to employees so they can access them when convenient. This helps grab attention and make the learning experience more impactful. Additionally, it is easier and faster to update these videos using rapid eLearning. Thus, they can be updated from time to time and made more relevant.
3. Interactive Videos for Onboarding
A short, interactive video to welcome new employees is a great way to create a lasting impression. Short videos that focus on one point at a time, a video discussing the organization’s culture, could help employees warm up and understand better. Similarly, a video discussing the procedures or the core values followed could be a great way to onboard the recruits.
Remember that employee onboarding is a great way to create a lasting impression, and doing it with a fun, interactive, and informative microlearning video would be great.
4. Explainer Videos for Product Training
Be it for familiarizing your employees with a new product/feature or educating new employees about your existing product, product training is a very important part of corporate training. And this is the reason why training managers are constantly looking for ways to make product training more impactful. This can be done with microlearning videos. Explainer videos in the microlearning format can make product training more focused and accessible on a need basis. The best part is these videos, being responsive can be accessed on any mobile device and are great for just-in-time and refresher training, facilitating your sales reps close deals faster.
I hope the article has helped you see how wonderful microlearning videos could be for your corporate training. They are extremely versatile and this makes them a great way to impart high-impact formal training. They can also be used to spread awareness, performance support initiatives, promotions, etc.
And the examples I have used in the blog, I hope they inspire you and guide you on how to use microlearning videos for corporate training. However, you need to remember that there are many ways to use them to concrete your online training initiatives.
Want to learn more about microlearning and its assets? This webinar recording will help you with it. Not only will it give you all the information required about microlearning assets such as audio, videos, GIFs, flashcards, etc. but it will also guide you in choosing the right asset based on your corporate training needs and thus achieve organizational goals.