Miles Davis, an American jazz musician, once said, “Time isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing”. This saying can be applied to every situation in our lives, both personal and professional. Let’s learn to plan our time more judiciously. When it comes to corporate training, organizations want their employees to stay up to date, learn quickly, retain their learning, and apply what they have learned in their jobs. Courses that are cumbersome and lengthy take too long to complete and cannot ensure retention. Moreover, they don’t match up to modern learners’ preferences in this fast-paced world of diminishing attention spans. Well, there is a solution to this problem that will leave you wanting for more – Microlearning!
What is Microlearning? (And What it is not)
Microlearning is a form of training that enhances learning by delivering content in small, bite-sized chunks, with each chunk addressing a single and specific learning objective. It is a dynamic, highly flexible learning strategy that can be used in various ways to ensure immersive learning and increased performance. It is also a fantastic way to refresh and reinforce learning.
The concept is sometimes misunderstood. To ensure clarity, let’s look at what microlearning is NOT. Microlearning isn’t:
- Chunking core content into smaller courses
- Just one format, e.g., videos
- For a specified or limited time (It may vary from 2 to 15 minutes)
- A replacement for elaborate eLearning courses
- Appropriate for every situation or task
- To be clubbed with performance support
Download this free webinar recording for proven techniques to develop engaging microlearning assets.
Popular Microlearning Formats
We can create microlearning assets in a variety of formats. Listed below are a few popular ones:
- Digital Flashcards
- Concept and Process Maps
Key Design Characteristics of Microlearning Modules
To ensure immersive learning, your microlearning modules should be:
- Based on a single, clear performance-based learning objective: Since microlearning is aimed at enabling quick learning, each session should be designed to cater to one specific learning objective.
- Aligned with desired organizational results: Your microlearning assets should be aligned with the predetermined learning objectives and desired organizational outcomes of the course.
- Short, focused and relevant: Your microlearning assets should be micro in size, focused on a set learning objective, and they should aid your employees in day-to-day problem-solving.
- Creative and intriguing: Ensure that your microlearning assets have the creative power to intrigue your learners to take up the course.
- Designed for both push and pull learning: You should check that your microlearning assets enable both push or ‘directed’ learning as well as pull or ‘just-in-time’ learning.
- Answering the ‘What’s in it for me’ question: Microlearning modules should provide learners with clarity and inform them about what they will be able to do after completing the course.
- Easily accessible: Accessibility of information plays a key role in successful learning. To enhance the utility of your training, you should aim to design microlearning modules that are multi-device and multi-browser compatible.
There is absolutely no doubt that microlearning is becoming the hot favorite of L&D (Learning & Development) gurus. To explore a bunch of benefits that microlearning offers corporate trainers, tap on this link.
Wrapping it Up!
Microlearning is one of the fastest-growing trends in the corporate training arena. The bite-sized learning modules it offers are becoming extremely popular among the millennial-dominated global workforce of today. Microlearning modules are palatable, easy to consume, engaging and enable memorable learning experiences. They also improve retention and reinforce learning.
Well, now that you are well-versed with the concept of microlearning, why not implement it to boost your employees as well as your organization’s performance?
Are you eager to learn more about the key benefits of microlearning as well as about diverse types of microlearning assets? Download this free eBook titled “‘Where Does Microlearning Fit in Your Learning Strategy?” for clear insights.