Curriculum is a list of courses to study that offer a particular subject comprehensively. Traditionally, curriculum was mentioned in the context of subjects offered in schools and colleges. Now-a-days, many organizations prefer training curriculum to be a part of elearning program instead of standalone eLearning courses.
Here is a sample curriculum:
|Stores Management||1.Introduction to Stores|
|2.Material Receipt and Issue|
|3.Material Receipt and Issue|
|4.Material Receipt and Issue – P3|
|5.Material Handling Storage Disposal – P1|
|6.Material Handling Storage Disposal – P2|
|7.Material Handling Storage Disposal – P3|
|8.Inventory_Management – P1|
|9.Inventory_Management – P2|
|11.Safety in Stores – P1|
|13.Stores as a Business Process – P1|
Let’s look at the advantages of a curriculum based training program:
- Procedural advantage, as it is easy to develop because a standard format will be used following general principles.
- Easy to monitor and the format of assessments is simple to adapt, score, and monitor.
- Efficiency of course will increase, as the SMEs who create the content will have a consistent alignment of learning objectives and test learners from what is taught throughout the entire curriculum.
- Reduction in cost & effort as the SMEs, as well as end learners need not put much effort in creating/ taking the eLearning curriculums as compared to standalone eLearning courses.
- Evaluation Process gets simplified in a curriculum format as the success and failure of the curriculum can be easily identified with an option to correct deficiencies.
- The training manager gets to plan a holistic view of the course.
- Once you have the overall strategy for the course, you can quickly develop and launch modules rather than wait for the entire curriculum.
- You can divide the course into various levels – Basic, Intermediate and Advanced.
- Learners get an in-depth and complete overview of the subject matter.
- Learners can easily absorb and learn if the modules are small. Not only will learning be reinforced, but learners also get motivated to proceed on successfully completing one module.
Due to the above reasons, many organizations are opting for curriculum based eLearning development rather than standalone eLearning courses as part of their training program.
Appreciate your thoughts and experiences on the same.