Virtual instructor-led training (VILT) is a synchronous online training strategy with untapped potential. It offers the flexibility of online training while providing the human interaction of traditional training. However, VILT comes with its own challenges owing to its limitations such as lack of visual cues and unfamiliar technology.
And while everyone talks of learners, trainers play a crucial role in ensuring the success of VILT and might have a lot of apprehensions about the terrible twos – transition and technology. One way to ensure a smooth learning curve is to “Train your Trainers.” It’s important for trainers to be comfortable using the platform and engaging learners despite the lack of visual cues.
To make it easy for your instructors, involve them right from the start and let them have a say in selecting the platform.
- Provide ‘train the trainer’ webinars or online courses as ready references.
- Offer ample practice opportunities and dry runs to get them familiar with the platform.
- Buddy each instructor with a host/facilitator to help them with the technological aspects during live sessions. This will save a tremendous amount of time and confusion.
- Train them on using the virtual lobby to encourage early arrivals (or have a host do this).
- Train trainers about sharing resources and files.
Coming to content, Gagne’s Events of Instruction serve as good guiding posts to ensure trainers design effective instructional material for VILT. This SlideShare explores strategies to maximize the learning potential offered by VILT with the framework of Gagne’s Events of Instruction. Unlock these insights to ensure trainers have effective, successful VILT experiences.
Do you want to further explore the art and science of designing virtual classrooms? The webinar on ILT to VILT Conversion offers practical guidelines on tailoring VILT sessions to replicate the human interaction of the classroom for optimal learner engagement.
The speaker, Shalini Merugu, Director of Learning Solutions at CommLab India has 16+ years of experience in instructional design and will shed light on:
- How to tweak content to suit the digital space – the design of instructional material and activities
- How to select the right technological platform and use collaborative activities optimally
The webinar is on 27th July, 2021 at 11 AM EDT. Mark your calendars and register now!