We always assume that instructional strategy is the only component we need to focus on. However, we also need to develop a highly effective visual design strategy to make a good online course. Visuals, when used efficiently, go a long way in delivering high-quality training. Furthermore, the aesthetic value of the course is enhanced, and this creates a good impression on the learner. You can use various kinds of visuals such as charts, images, graphs, videos, drawings, illustrations, photographs, graphics, etc. Now, I will brief you on how visualization will have a great impact on learning.
Positive impact on learning
Visualization makes a lot of difference in eLearning as it is self-paced, and we are responsible for engaging the learner. Let’s get into the actual point – visuals can be used for displaying information by:
- An image or picture should be self-explanatory
- When there are many factors that need to be assimilated at a single glance, visual representation of information will help the learner comprehend better.
A simple example is shown here.
Option 1: There are three types of hazards viz. Chemical hazard, Physical hazard, and Biological hazard .
Option 2: There are three types of hazards such as
Which looks more appealing and easy to understand? I am pretty sure it’s option 2. This is how visuals make a difference and have an impact on learning.
Few tips to make effective use of visuals
- Keep in mind that visualization should match the objective of the course
- Make visualization of information look realistic
- Using appropriate visualization acts as a navigator for the learner as there will be consistent placement of visual elements onscreen
- Visual appeal will stay in mind. Good visuals help the learner retain knowledge by recollecting the graphics, images and so on
- Giving visual elements in a sequence helps provide order and continuity to the learner
Proper use of visuals helps the learner to comprehend the subject-matter of the course in an effective manner. It helps him retain information for a long time. Hope you find this blog interesting. Do share your views.