Performing learning management activities using an LMS, in an organization with a few employees, is easy. But, performing these activities in a company with several staff members, in a short time period, can be quite hectic. Usually, these “bulk”, time-bound activities need to be performed when you setup a new LMS and want to do lot of activities in the initial stages to set all the pre-training settings. Also, you need to perform these activities if you assign a selected set of courses to a group of specific users.
There are many other activities which can take most of the LMS administrator’s time and effort. Performing these manually, for each course or user, not only takes time and effort, but also increases the chance of doing mistakes, and identifying and fixing these mistakes takes a lot of time.
Moodle, an open source LMS, has excellent features to manage these bulk activities. Here, I am sharing some tips to perform bulk activities using the Moodle LMS, very quickly and effectively. The first thing you need to do is to select users using filters
- Send a message: This will help you send the same message to all the selected users. This feature is generally used to send the latest news or provide training updates. You can send an e-mail to all selected users, in addition to alert message, using the LMS.
- Add to Cohort: Cohort is nothing but a group where selected users are grouped to form a new user group. This feature will add users to a cohort, so that the added users will be auto-enrolled into courses assigned to the cohort.
- Assigning/ Un-Assigning Roles: You can assign as well as un-assign course level roles to users. This allows the user with a specific role to perform additional activities within that course. For example, you can allow the user performing the role of an instructor to record attendance in a classroom.
- Confirm: Sometimes, you receive many user-requests to confirm the account. As an administrator, you can filter all users who are waiting for your approval and then confirm their accounts at one go.
- Continue Enrollment of Users: If you want to extend the course enrollment duration to a group of users, then this feature helps you do it easily.
- Delete: If you want to delete a particular group of users from the LMS, select the users using a filter. Then, delete them all at once.
- Display on page: If you want to view the list of users in a particular group or with a particular profile field, then you can filter it and view it.
- Download: This will help you download the filtered users as an MS-Excel sheet which you may use for further analysis.
- Enroll/Un-enroll courses: This will help you enroll or un-enroll bulk users into selected courses at one go. This activity is performed very frequently by the LMS administrator.
- Force password change: If you have created bulk users and forgot to set force password, then using this feature, you can easily force the selected users to reset the password with their own when they login with the previous password.
- Purge Activity: If you want to delete all training records for a set of courses, then use this feature. This will reset all training records of the selected courses.
- Suspend Enrollment of users: If you want to suspend a group of selected users, then use this option. This will not allow users to access the LMS, even though their account is available in the LMS.
All these features are not available, by default, in Moodle. You need to send a request to your LMS administrator to install this additional plugin. If you are setting up Moodle LMS for the first time, then you may add these features to your requirements. Hope these features help you to perform multiple activities quickly and effectively. Do share your views.