Articulate Storyline is a great tool with inbuilt quizzing features. It provides a wide variety of quiz slides with inbuilt functionality. But sometimes the default features may not satisfy our requirements. We need to customize them to satisfy the needs.
Here I would like to share one of the requirements of our client and how we customized the Articualte Storyline quiz feature to meet the need.
Let’s see the requirement.
In a multiple choice question, the learner is given 3 choices and 2 of them are correct. And if the learner selects one option and submits, the default feedback in Storyline would be “Incorrect”. The client wanted the feedback in such way that if the learner selects only one option and submits his answer, regardless of the selected option (correct or incorrect), he must be prompted with an instruction that he should select 2 options, instead of receiving the usual “Incorrect” feedback.
Now Let’s see the steps for customizing:
1. Insert a Graded Multiple Response Slide, with a question that has three choices and two are correct from them. (It would be easy to explain with minimum choices. You can follow the same method with as many choices as you want.)
2. The requirement is to make the learner select 2 options. Therefore, I’ll make groups of the options with two in each group. (If 1, 2, and 3 are the options then my groups would be 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3.)
3. Create an alert layer that instructs to select two options.
4. As I have three groups, I’ll create 3 variables of type: True/False. (Variable1, Variable2, and Variable3).
5. I’ll adjust the three variables as shown in the screenshots below:
6. As we have inserted a default quizzing slide, a default trigger to submit the interaction is also created.
All you need to do is double click on that and add the conditions to that trigger.
7. Now, create a trigger that would show the alert, instructing the learner to select two options in case he selects only one.
Preview and check the functionality.
So this was how I customized the Multiple Response slide in Articulate Stpryline to satisfy the needs of our client. To perform more complex functionalities, stay tuned to my blogs.