There are hundreds of authoring tools which enable rapid eLearning development. Each tool gets upgraded every now and then. Here, I would like share some factors you need to consider to select the right authoring tool for rapid eLearning development.
1. Know Your Training Requirements: Before planning for the development of an eLearning course, it is very important to know the training requirements well. Is the online course intended for imparting product training, application training or compliance training? This is important because each authoring tool has different capabilities.
2. Know Your Budget and Timelines: While defining the learning approach of your eLearning, you should consider your budget and timelines. We can be used inbuilt templates, or need customization; it includes more interactivities for effective training. All these effects to the budget and timelines
3. Know Your Tools Capabilities: Each tool has its strengths and weaknesses. It is very important to understand the limitations and capabilities of each tool. For example, if the digital course is intended for providing software application training, it can be developed using screen capturing tools.
4. Know the Nature of Content: Based on the content complexity, we should choose a tool which makes it easy to fit the content into the inbuilt templates. We need to select a tool that has more inbuilt templates, so that we can save a lot of time.
5. Know Compliance Requirements: It is also very important to know compliance requirements such as LMS compatibility, i.e. SCORM/ AICC / Tin can API. We should also consider HTML5 output for iPads and mobile compatibility.
These are some of the factors that need be considered before selecting authoring tools for eLearning development. Hope you find this blog informative.Please share your thoughts on the same.