The corporate training world is going mobile. According Ambient Insight Market Forecast, mobile learning market in western Europe is likely to reach $885 Million by 2017. So, how can you create online courses that meet the needs of “mLearners” efficiently? You need to formulate effective strategies to design, develop and deliver the mobile learning courses. My colleagues have written various blogs on mobile learning course design strategy. You can read here.
In this blog, we will see how to develop the mobile learning courses and deliver them effectively. Let’s begin by looking at 3 popular rapid authoring tools.
3 widely used rapid authoring tools for mobile learning development:
Developing mobile learning is very easy with rapid authoring tools; these tools can be used to develop courses that are compatible with most of the mobile devices. Here are 3 tools that are used extensively to develop mobile learning courses.
- Lectora Inspire: This powerful software has in-built templates which are very useful to develop courses for the mobile, in quick time. All you need to do is choose one of the templates, modify the color scheme and start building the module. Lectora is highly flexible in terms of customizing interactivities, templates and quizzes. This tool is ideal to convert text-heavy content into highly engaging mobile learning courses and develop courses that need to be translated into several languages.
- Adobe Captivate 8: This tool can be used to build courses for all devices, including mobiles and desktop computers. Your developer needs to create the base version of an online course, and it will be automatically updated on mobile devices such as iPads, tablets and smartphones. This eliminates the need to create interface, buttons, and other navigation features separately for each device. This tool also has a feature called responsive screen capture that enables you to record using any device. The screen recordings adjust their GUI according to the screen size of the device from which recording is done.
- Articulate Storyline: Articulate Storyline is a great tool if you want to produce eLearning courses in Flash, HTML5 and iOS formats from a single source. As courses can be produced in HTML5 as well as the iOS format, it enables you to develop mLearning courses easily. It has touch-savvy interactions, quizzes or puzzles that are compatible with tablets and smartphones. It also comes with Articulate Mobile Player, a native iOS app, which facilitates seamless delivery of media-rich mobile learning courses on iPads.
We will now look at few ways to deliver mobile learning courses
Mobile compatible LMS:
There are several LMS (Learning Management Systems) that provide good support to mobile learning. The latest versions of may LMSs are compatible with Tin Can API, the successor to SCORM. This API facilitates hassle-free tracking of learning activities performed on all devices.
- If you use mobile learning mainly to make information accessible to your employees, you may want to just put the information on a web portal.
- Presentations, podcasts, eBooks, etc. can be made compatible with mobile devices and hosted on the web portal.
- Your employees can access these anytime, anywhere through their smartphones or tablet computers.
These are websites that are designed exclusively to host mobile learning content. The layout, navigation buttons and interface are designed, keeping in mind the features and small screen sizes of mobile devices.
Hope you find this post informative. How do you develop and deliver the mLearning courses? We’d love to hear your experiences.