Do you have content ready with you but don’t know how to develop it into an eLearning course? Well there are hundreds of authoring tools that can be used to develop eLearning. These tools quickly and easily produce an eLearning course, thereby cutting the production time and costs.
The choice of tool depends on criteria such as the content type, author’s skills set, devices onto which the courses have to be deployed, time and costs.
Let’s see some of the popular authoring tools that we use and how it can be used in the development of an eLearning course.
- This tool supports complex interactivities like simulations, drag and drops, puzzles, and complex animations delivering a rich user experience
- It also supports audio, animation, and advanced interactivity
- This tool allows customization of navigation, buttons and user interfaces, making the courses user friendly and contribute in creating compelling user experiences
- Flash creates content that loads easily with a rich look and feel
- This authoring tool is ideal for all kinds of trainings, including product and process trainings, soft-skill trainings and even software simulations
- Storyline comes with simple intuitive graphical user interface design that enables quick development of courses
- Storyline comes with various illustrated characters and photographic characters with which you can make 47,500 combination of characters, expressions and poses in your courses. This makes the job of a graphic designer easy in choosing the right image for the right content
- Articulate Storyline comes with in-built ready-to-use templates for course development, which can also be customized to suit your requirements
- This tool facilitates the smooth re-authoring of your existing course developed using Articulate Studio.
- This tool also has a screen-recording feature that gives an output of a video, which can be used to show simulations (step-by-step actions)
- This tool enables publishing of courses to Flash, HTML5 as well as in the iOS format
- Articulate is a good tool for rapid conversion into the Flash format
- You can easily and very quickly convert graphically rich interactive PowerPoint presentations into online courses.
- Using Articulate Presenter, we can create interactive and engaging PowerPoint presentations and convert them into online eLearning courses
- Using Articulate Studio’s standard interface, our instructional designers can add audio, video, scenarios and custom animations to the courses, making them highly interactive to engage and motivate learners
- Using Articulate Quizmaker, we can develop customized quizzes and assessments as per individual needs based on different parameters to test learners taking the eLearning courses
- This tool is ideal for those who are new to eLearning.
- Excellent for capturing screen-based interactive software simulations without using Flash
- With features like With themes, interactions, and smart shapes you can easily make eye-catching eLearning content that will grab a learner’s attention
- Adobe Captivate allows you to create eye-catching quizzes quickly with its quiz templates
- It has the ability to add caption text that syncs with animation
- It also has publishing options to Flash and HTML5 and the updated tool has multi-languages support
- Lectora is the most popular authoring tool used to develop HTML-based courses very quickly
- It is the most appropriate tool when the course content contains heavy text. Lectora can convert it into engaging and interesting eLearning courses
- If your requirement is to train your employees in their native languages, Lectora is an ideal tool, since you can develop courses simultaneously in multiple languages
- You can customize the templates and GUI elements that are in Lectora to give the course a personalized look and feel.
- It also has a good library of ready-to-use templates/GUIs
- Using Lectora, you can publish the course content on multiple platforms such as Web, LMS, LCMS, CD/DVD, iPhone, iPad, mobile or tablet devices
These are the five top tools that we employ to develop an eLearning course. Although these tools are rapid and easy to work, you still require technical knowledge to work with them; hence, it is advisable to outsource your eLearning development tasks to professionals who can handle these tools with ease.