Whenever I take on a new e-learning project, I first comprehend the content and then think of ways in which the content can be presented. This is where the importance of visualization comes into picture. Your e-learning course should contain good visual elements to keep your learners engaged. But, using visuals just for the sake of using them may not make your e-learning course effective. Instead, use visuals that go well with your content. In this blog, I would like to share how to use visuals effectively to enhance the quality of your online course.
1. Use images that speak: A picture is worth a thousand words. Use appropriate images that speak about the content, instead of using heavy blocks of text. This would help your learners absorb the information very well and make your course look visually appealing. You can also use characters in your e-learning course. These characters can be used to explain the content. Make sure that you have these characters in different poses, so that you can use them throughout the course. In the screenshot below, you can see the image of a doctor that guides learners throughout the course.
2. Use images that are interactive: Many a time, you need to develop courses on products and healthcare. You may need to explain all the parts of a product on a single slide. But, you cannot place the image and the entire text on a single slide as it results in learner monotony. So, what is the solution to this problem? The answer is very simple – use hotspots. Hotspot is a very effective interactivity that asks learners to click and know the content. When learners click a hotspot, the related information gets displayed. Take a look at the hotspot interactivity.
3. Use videos to explain procedures: Videos are effective tools to enhance the learning process. They can be effectively used to train your learners on a procedure, for instance, how a machine or a product functions. Studies show that we learn better by watching and observing. Videos are a great way to demonstrate behavior. For example, videos can be effectively used in a fire safety training to show the hazards that occur in workplace and also the safe work practices.
4. Use info-graphics for better learning: Have you ever thought of using info-graphics in your e-learning course? I am sure your learners would love info-graphics because they present the information in a simple and concise manner that is easy to read and recall. Info-graphics are attractive and keep your learners engaged. Info-graphics can be used effectively to:
- Narrate the history of a person or product
- Compare and contrast data
- Explain a process or procedure
- Relate concepts and categories
Here is a screenshot of an info-graphic that shows the steps to be followed to design an e-learning course.
Thus, we see that proper use of visuals goes a long way in enhancing the effectiveness of an e-learning course. Hope you find this post useful. Do share your views.