In eLearning, images play an important role in engaging and motivating learners. They explain everything in a very simple and in an effective manner and this creates an impact very quickly on the learners’ mind. In eLearning, a real impact is created if the images are correctly placed. As a novice instructional designer, I would like to share some basic points on how to use images in eLearning, which are being missed many a time by people.
Always ask these questions to yourself while selecting the images:
- Does the image strengthen or support my message?
- Does it invoke interest for my content?
- Does it stand out and attract my learners’ attention?
- Does it convey the right message to my learners?
- Does it follow the uniformity with other images used in the course?
CONFUSED, Are you stuck? Don’t worry! Here are some tips for choosing the right images for your eLearning course:
Placement of Images: Images should be placed in such a way that they grab the attention of the learner. A very important point is that it should never be placed at the bottom right corner because it goes unnoticed. Another important point is that always place the content and the image in correlation so, that it is easy for comparison and analysis.
For example, here is the screenshot showing how to do the proper placement of images while designing an eLearning course.
Educate, Do Not Decorate: A relevant image for the content will help the learner understand and absorb information quickly. The selected image should be as per the content which will add some color or interest. On the other hand, irrelevant images can distract the learner from understanding the content.
For example, in the below screenshot it shows how relevant images for the content will help the learner to understand the content quickly.
Right Character Choice: Characters play a very important role in eLearning course; they also create a good human touch. For example, while developing an eLearning course about healthcare, use a character that plays the role of a doctor and use throughout the course while understanding the duties and responsibilities of the doctor.
For example, here is the screenshot showing how a character guides the learner throughout the eLearning program.
Other relevant points:
- Resize the image as per the content so as to make it an eye-catching element on the screen.
- Engage the learner by choosing perfect visual elements that evoke their emotions, for example, laughter, excitement, happiness, confusion, etc.
- Protection against copyright infringement claims should be studied while choosing an image. See to it that whether a selected image is free but authenticated or has a paid source.
- Resist the temptation to choose the first image that comes your way instead look for more relevant, clear, compelling images.
- Cropped image can be more dynamic and will help learners to focus on the particular details.
Images are effective and easily understood but it is advisable not to confuse the learner by using too many images on the screen. By adding good visual design to the elearning course, it becomes much more effective and engaging for the learners.
If you have any other tips to share. Please do comment!
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: