With Christmas and New Year just around the corner, the countries are preparing for the holiday rush. One of the most interesting aspects of this preparation for the corporate companies is the seasonal hiring. No matter what the job is, may it be from handling shipments to keeping a track in order, seasonal workers make a huge part of success during this holiday season.
Companies like Amazon and Walmart, greatly bank on seasonal employees to boost their customer service till the end of the holiday season. Recently, I came across a Forbes article on how to motivate seasonal employees. It says providing training to employees in small nuggets can make them stick to the information and help them in performing the job well.
It’s a fact that seasonal workers remain with companies for a very short duration, for about a month or so, and this gives room to quite a lot of questions about training. The basic questions that ponder would be like:
- How severe or extensive should these trainings be? Should they be only to retain the knowledge of the seasonal workers batch?
- What is the ROI when seasonal workers are trained and who will be part of the company for a few weeks or months?
- How can huge batches of these employees be trained at a time, instantaneously, to fill short-term seasonal roles?
Seasonal employees are required to ramp quickly, which means they need to grasp a lot of information all at once. Since they have very less time, they need to be motivated and trained in way so that they feel they represent the brand for this season and do their best.
To help you get the maximum out of your seasonal workers, I am going to list out here the top 5 tips needed to train your seasonal employees, well within your budget.
1. Simplify Seasonal Jobs:
Some companies do not provide the needed training for seasonal workers; if a new hire requires 6 months training, they are given training only for 3 months and this makes no sense. Practically, we cannot expect workers to be competent in their work if they are provided with only half of the training they need. A better solution to this problem will be to simplify and divide the tasks; this will help them deliver work as perfectly as required.
For example, the agent earlier used to work on multiple tasks like taking an order, placing the order, shipping the product, and tracking the order. The tasks can be allotted to 2 employees, with two tasks allotted to each of them. This will simplify the task and reduce the load on newbies.
2. Adopt E-Learning:
Custom E-learning is popular among big industries because of its useful features. They provide trainings to their employees through e-learning programs that comprise guides, job-aids, and digital manuals. Here are the advantages of adopting an e-learning course to train:
- Helps to access training material anytime and anywhere
- Enables cost-effective learning, as there are no extra costs involved.
- Makes learning playful through creative teaching.
- Makes learners comfortable to tread the learning path with self-paced learning.
- Includes a huge number of learners worldwide.
- Allows the sharing of resources from the experts with just a click of a button.
- Tracks the amount of time spent by the learner on a particular course.
3. Go in for BYOD:
It was discovered that almost 75% of the employees confirmed more interest in using their own device at work. IBM says “Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is a policy where employees are allowed or encouraged to use their personal mobile devices such as laptops, smartphones to access enterprise data and systems.” So adopting the BYOD method can help the workers to learn at their own pace. The other advantages are given below:
- Ability to access training material anytime and anywhere.
- Ability to start training at work and continue during downtimes.
- Freedom from allotting more time to training like 60 mins – 90 mins.
- Providing more options to employees to regulate their training.
- Choice of using devices that employees are more comfortable using.
4. Give On-the-Job Training:
On-the-job training is one of the predominant training methods because it is organized, planned, and conducted at the worker’s workplace. The task is allotted to these employees and they practice under the direction of qualified staff for some time till they learn. Great confidence is built up among the employees when they carry out self-learning under administration. It is not always required to monitor, but once the employee gains confidence and mastery in a particular task, he can be left on his own. This will allow the seasonal employees to be fused quickly into the company.
5. Offer Incentives:
Training should never be the single option, as seasonal workers want their hands to be full and expect rewards for the hard work they do. So keeping them motivated is important and this can be done by providing them incentives when they touch the most important milestone, for example, after completing their training.
The most attractive factor of seasonal workforce is that they provide practical flexibility during high-traffic times like holidays without actual real expectation of a long-term commitment by the company. The bottom line is to utilize the best from the seasonal employees to achieve tremendous sales. And seasonal worker training needs a slight change in strategy! Have anything to say? Please do share!