You could be confused about the topics to be covered in the e-learning course while creating it. If proper content is not included in the course, it might fail to draw the learners’ attention. Therefore before creating the course, content which suits the training needs, should be identified. The client may send the material in various formats like Word, Power point and pdf formats, all of which may not be relevant. Instructional Designer’s (ID) and Subject Matter Expert ’s (SME) work together to identify and include the relevant content. ID’s also work on how to organize the content in a logical way, i.e. structure the content.
By following some steps, a course can be made effective to the learners and reach them in the desired manner. Here are the steps to be followed to get the best out of the raw content.
- You need to have a clear idea on the content given by the client, so that it becomes easier to specify the training need. Analyzing the content properly helps to decide the instructional strategy.
- If the content is too long, you can spilt it into segments, each having its own objective. This helps the learner to easily remember the content.
- You may approach the client, if you are confused with the requirements or, if the content is inadequate. Check whether the content is sufficient enough to meet the training needs.
- Target the learners’ needs, rather than content that is of no use for them.
- Try to include the essential key messages at the beginning of the e-learning course, to attract the learners towards the course.
- Include graphical elements such as images and charts in the course, which helps learners develop interest and access the course better.
- Learners avoid reading if they don’t understand the text, so use language that is simple and easily understood, to improve learner’s understanding.
Instructional designers and Subject material experts work together for providing a e-learning course that meets the learner’s requirements by including the right content, which helps them achieve their educational goal.
These are some steps that can help you to structure the content as per the learner’s needs.