My friend tweeted,”I’m stressed out!!!!” Another says, “I need to get away from this stress.” In a world of globalization, everyone is stressed from adults to teens to even kids. A student is under stress when exams are approaching or an employee feels the stress of unfinished tasks.
What is stress? An individual’s body feels the stress of fighting a particular tough situation by sending out signals that can affect his or her health, productivity and relationships. Events such as death, accidents or unpleasant situations at the workplace like being passed over for a promotion or unpleasantness at home such as sibling rivalry or unfinished household chores, and peers who backstab you at the workplace. To reduce stress from your life, identify the stressors or sources of stress in your life. Whenever you feel stressed, note the reason for stress in a diary or journal.
Some people manage and cope with stress in a healthy manner, while some try to curb stress in an unproductive manner such as smoking, drinking, over or under-eating, withdrawing from family and friends, taking pills and drugs to relax, procrastinating, etc.
However, there are healthy stress management techniques which one can easily resort to. They are:
- Avoid excessive stress. Learn to say no, avoid people who create stress and tension in life, create a to-do list on a daily basis and avoid discussing topics like politics that are highly debatable. By circumventing stress, you will be able to breathe easy.
- Modify the situation. If you cannot escape a stressful situation, figure out how you can change the situation or things and avoid the same problem in future. Talk about stressful situations with your family or friends, learn how to multitask and manage your time better, deal with stressful situations or problems head-on and avoid procrastinating.
- Familiarize yourself with the stressor. If you can’t change the reasons for stress, change yourself by varying your expectations and attitude towards these reasons. Stop looking for perfectionism, view stressful situations from a positive perspective, pause and regroup your priorities or just listen to your favorite music or spend time on your hobby.
- Accept the reality. The death of a loved one, a serious illness or even recession are some stressful situations that you can’t change. The best thing to do at such times is to accept it. Avoid controlling unmanageable things, learn to forget and forgive and to learn from mistakes are a few ways of managing stress.
- Relax and have fun. Make time for fun and relax. This will reduce stress to a great extent. Go for a walk, indulge in a talkathon with your friends, cycle, watch movies, listen to music, read a good book, laugh or tend to your garden.
- Embrace a healthy lifestyle. Maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen, get enough sleep, limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine, practice yoga, deep breathing, meditation and other relaxation techniques to manage stress effectively.
Life’s ultimate goal is to ensure a balanced life with time for work, relationships, relaxation and fun. So, go ahead and do all you can to distress and enjoy life.
Do share your thoughts on the same.