According to OSHA, each year, approximately 6,000 employees in U.S die from workplace injuries, while another 50,000 die from illnesses caused by exposure to workplace hazards. In addition, 6 million workers suffer non-fatal workplace injuries, at an annual cost of more than $125 billion to U.S. businesses. Most of these incidents can be prevented by taking effective job safety measures. Safety training to the employees can play a key role in this aspect.
In today’s world, its a big concern for every organization to avoid hazard in their workplace. Most experts are of this opinion, that to ensure the goodwill of an organization, it is better to keep workers with the right training certification.
Here are some of the challenges that an organization faces in reality:
Ensuring employees acquire accurate knowledge of safety – This helps workers to understand the safe use of products. This enables them to address customer concerns, questions about the product and explain how to use them, safely and securely.
Giving immediate training for workers – Workers have expenses and commitments that need immediate addressing. They should be given training that gives immediate solutions to their questions and challenges, based on their job role.
Ensuring that the staff is aware of the risks at their workplace,whether it’s onsite or offsite – Workers need to be aware of safety issues, when they enter the work environment, in order to stay safe.
Providing convenient access to the training – When a worker is on a customer premises, usinga portable device to access the training, can be an easy way for a worker who missed a live training session.
Recently, we developed a Self Running Video for one of our clients. It helps the employees to identify hazards in workplace and apply the hazard identification practices, in different areas of their work and take the risk-based decisions.
Such videos can be an effective way to meet learning objectives effectively and rapidly, as they strengthen the visual appeal and elicit learner interest. They can also instill detailed knowledge, which is not possible through classroom trainings.
Benefits of using Self running videos for safety training
- Videos engage learners more than text and images, as it combines all media types such as visuals, audio and text as well.
- They make a high impact on the learners, because they show real-life situations and are more entertaining than a trainer explaining the same.
- In today’s world, with the wide range of devices, from desktops to mobiles. available, there is a great need to create self-running videos that work on them.
- Workers can take the training at any time, or place and at any pace, that meet their requirement.
- Self-running videos are a great solution for non-native speakers, to understand the concept since they ‘show’pictures and can include subtitles.
- Videos depict real-life situations that learners can relate to, resulting in high retention rate.
- It is very cost-effective delivery, as the safety training has to be delivered to large group of workers.
I would like to conclude saying that proper training is necessary for every employee, to ensure on-the-job safety and the self-running video medium is a smart way accomplishing it.