Instructional designers usually come from different educational backgrounds, and most of them do not have a degree in instructional design. So, what does it take to become a good instructional designer and design effective eLearning courses?
In this post, we will look at the role of an instructional designer.
1. Understanding the client requirements: The process of instructional design starts with getting answers to the following.
- What is the need for the training?
- Who is the target audience, what is its level of understanding of the subject?
- What are the learning outcomes?
2. Analyzing the content: Content comprehension is the most important step. Once you analyse the content, it’s very important to involve the subject-matter experts. This helps:
- Get a clear understanding of the learning requirements
- Fill the gaps identified in the content
- Remove the extranous or irrelevant content
3. Brainstorming the instructional strategies: Think of various strategies and identify the one that best applies to your content. Some of the strategies are storytelling, guided-learning by using characters and avatars, scenario-based learning and case-studies. For example, guided-learning can be used to teach the process of applying a loan, while scenario-based learning can be used to teach the safety measures to be taken at the workplace.
4. Designing a storyboard: Before a designing a storyboard, it’s important to frame learnng objectives, create an outline and chunk the content. At the storyboarding level, add apprporiate visuals, write audio script and create assessments that are linked to the learning objectives. You need to understand how people learn and how to connect to them emotionally. Once the storyboard is completed, IDs work with developers to produce the course.
5. Reviewing the Course: Once the course is produced, it’s very important to review it. Many aspects such as language, clarity, consistency of image placement, on-screen bullets etc., have to be checked. To be specific, check whether the course has been developed in the way you visualized it to be.
Instructional designers play an important role in the creation of an effective eLearning course. They use different ways to make a subject interesting for learners. What do you think? Do share your thoughts.