Learning is the art of acquiring new knowledge & skills to enhance our overall development. The process of continuous learning keeps our mind up-to-date and also enriches the quality of our life. Retaining what we learn is quite important in our everyday life as it helps us to be effective at our work place in yielding desired results and outcomes.
We sometimes get stressed out with ‘over learning’ because of which there is a tendency to forget some important things. There are many significant ways by which one can easily retain what one has learned.
Here are a few causes of poor retention and tips to overcome.
Reasons for forgetting:
- Lack of interest
- Lack of proper understanding of the concept
- Disuse – Memories do not stay for long when not reviewed or visited frequently
- Increased preoccupations in the mind (both necessary & unnecessary)
- Mental tensions
In order to avoid these causes of poor retention, one must effectively plan his / her method of ‘internalizing’ learning, so that it can be retained for a longer time.
Some simple techniques that will help:
- Identify a clear purpose for learning
- Get a thorough understanding of the material / information that you need to learn
- Build a strong background on the subject matter
- Avoid mental overcrowding of immaterial / unnecessary things
- Be determined to implement whatever you learned in practical life
- Divide the learning into manageable bites
- Make a habit of writing while learning – Notepad helps
- Exercise your brain – This keeps your mind fit just like body fitness
Apart from these techniques, there is a concept called “visual learning”, which involves learning from seeing a task performed. This learning style is more interactive and engaging as it includes pictures, diagrams, graphics etc., that help in remembering concepts for longer period.
I hope these tips help you in retaining learning, with positive results. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic!