We have a tendency to solve all performance problems with training interventions, even though a majority of performance-related issues are more amenable to non-instructional interventions.
I think a performance support system or a job aid is appropriate when:
- The task has to be done quickly or speedily
- The task is infrequently performed
- The task is complex, involves many steps, or has many attributes
- The consequence of error is intolerable
- Performance depends on a large body of information
- Performance depends on knowledge, procedures, or approaches that change frequently
- Performance can be improved through employee self-assessment and correction with standards in mind
- There is high turnover and the task is perceived to be simple
- There is little time or few resources to devote to training
I welcome you to share your experiences where a performance support system or a simple job aid like a checklist worked very well for you.
Thank you for reading my blog.