Disadvantages of ILT to the Trainer or Organization
Here are a few downsides of ILTs from the organization’s perspective:
- ILTs are expensive, there are costs related to travel, instructors, venues, stay and lodging as well as food.
- ILTs also are time-consuming. Employees have to be pulled of their jobs to attend ILTs. This affects work schedules and reduces productivity and adds to costs. Time spent away from the job is also the cost of lost opportunity.
- Logistics for ILTs can be a nightmare, especially for organizations with a large workforce.
- ILTs cannot be rolled out to all employees simultaneously. And sometimes the training requirement can only be met by simultaneous enterprise rollout. For instance compliance trainings.
- ILTs can be difficult to implement in a global multi-cultural context.
Disadvantages of ILT to the Learner
Here are a few downsides of ILTs from the learner’s perspective:
- The learner has to spend time away from his/her job. The venue could involve travel – increasing costs substantially.
- ILTs are typically not available on-demand or closer to the moment of need.
- ILTs typically take a longer time than other modes of training.
- Multi-tasking is not possible with ILTs as learners in a class have to focus on the classroom session to the exclusion of everything else.
- Schedules are typically rigid and fixed much in advance.
- If your workforce works shifts, this type of training can be very inconvenient for night shift workers.
- Learners can be at the mercy of poor instructors.
- If, for some reason, learners are unable to attend a session, rescheduling classes is not possible most times, with inflexible schedules or classes filled beyond capacity.
- The classroom can sometimes provide lab conditions and be far removed from the reality of the learner’s jobs. Transfer of learning can be difficult in such cases.
Now, the question is, which is better – Instructor Led Training or eLearning? Does eLearning too has any limitations? Well, we will be discussing about this in the coming post.