As we all know, to train employees based on all their changing needs is the biggest challenge for training managers. They need to constantly update their knowledge of learning technologies to deliver the best experiences to their learners. One of the best ways to train their employees is by using videos.
Videos add great value to learning and are used to reduce the load of reading for the learner and help them in retaining information. A sense of personalization is created through videos and the learners are able to connect with your course and complete it. The importance of videos today cannot be denied, as any video added to your online course boost learners’ engagement. They also help you to create a memorable and exciting e-learning experience for them as well as keep your learner hooked to your course.
An individual is likely to remember only
- 10% of textual content
- 65% of visual content
- 95% of audio-visual content
Therefore, e-learning courses will be more effective if videos are incorporated.
How to use videos
Videos in e-learning courses should,
Where to use videos
Let’s take a quick look where to use videos in online courses.
Videos can be used:
- For product demonstrations, for instance, the working of equipment or a product in a workshop becomes difficult to demonstrate in real life. So, in such cases, a better choice is to use videos in which an expert shows how the product or equipment works. E-learning courses with such videos would add immense value not only to the sales force, but also to all the stakeholders.
- For software simulations, to demonstrate the working of software, which provides learners an opportunity to understand the details of the software and helps them use it effectively in real time. This gives them the confidence to use the software with efficacy. Adobe Captivate is the ideal tool to capture screens and produce videos.
- For orientations, say for example, we can begin the course with a message from the CEO, the senior managers, and other leaders of the company and this would be the best way to explain the company’s vision and mission to the new employees.
- For testimonials, you can make testimonials of employees who have taken the course previously. This can be included in promotional videos that promote the course. It can be an effective way to market your e-learning initiative within the organization.
- For process explanation, a process, which may involve a series of stages, can be animated and visually demonstrated for better retention.
- For welcome screen, a brief introduction about the course and its objectives in a simple way can be shown by using videos. It enables the learner to know what to expect from the course and stay on track.
3 different types of videos
There are various ways to develop videos for training programs to make them more interesting and engaging for the learners. Here, I would like to share 3 types of videos that help you to impart effective training at low cost.
- Video with narration: We can develop videos with narration. This helps the learner to understand concepts better as they see and listen to the video.
- Video with subtitles and music: We can develop videos using subtitles and add background music. Music will give a pleasant feeling to the learner. They will understand the concept with the help of subtitles.
- Video with subtitles and narration: We can develop videos using subtitles onscreen along with the narration. We can develop the video where subtitles can be in other languages and the audio in English. Here, there is no need to record the audio in multiple languages. This is one of the cost-effective solutions.
Advantages and disadvantages of using videos
You also need to understand the advantages and disadvantages of using videos.
Thus, to conclude, videos enhance the participation of learners and improve their job performance. Therefore, it is a good idea to include videos in the training program to achieve better results faster. Have anything to say? Please do share!