We will, of course, begin with an analysis if a job aid is appropriate or is proper training intervention needed. Once that is decided, then the requirement can be addressed by a non-training intervention. Let’s move ahead with evaluating the appropriateness of these two alternatives.
An (EPSS) Electronic Performance Support System is Appropriate when:
- Infrequent performance; situation is complex with multiple steps
- Consequence of errors is high; Performance depends on large amount of information
- Dependent on frequently changing knowledge, procedures, approaches
- High turnover, task can be codified; less time and resources for training
It is Inappropriate when:
- Would damage credibility; Unpredictability or novelty exist;
- Smooth/fluid performance is top priority; Users lack reading/listening skills;
- Employees aren’t motivated; Users are unable to access
We need to also determine the level of integration of the aid with the task in hand. Tasks like maybe washing of hands needs a non-electronic job aid.
Additional determinants are cost, resources (technical capability & skilled developers), and performance environment and ability of users.
Thank you for reading my blog and look forward to your comments and opinions.