The purpose of choosing a design approach is to improve the efficacy of your online course. If an appropriate strategy is not employed, the efficacy of the course may be affected.
There are many methods to finalize the design of a learning program. At CommLab, we believe that design comprises three learning elements i.e., instructional, visual and audio. Our approach to design is basically to finalize the specifications in terms of handling these elements. In this blog, we will be discussing about the first element i.e. instructional design strategy or instructional design approach.
The instructional design approach states how the content needs to be presented in the e-learning course.Your course may end up ineffective and mislead the learner if a proper strategy is not followed.
To ensure that your content flows smoothly, you must to comprehend the contentand follow/adopt the right instructional approach.
Instructional design strategy determines the approach to be taken to achieve the desired learning objective. This strategy is again divided into two segments i.e. learner-centric and course-centric. Let’s have a look at them.
1. Learner-centric Strategy: It focuses on the intellectual, emotionaland physical participation of the learner and helps strengthen the learner’s knowledge, therebyimproving on-the-job performance.
i. Intellectual Participation: It defines the strategies to engage learners by providing mental stimulus. Some examples of intellectual participation are:
- Providing textual instructions in a manner that triggers thought
- Using interactivities to engage learners
- Including practice exercises such as formative and summative assessments that test their understanding/ knowledge and giving theme sense of achievement
ii. Emotional Participation: It defines the strategies to connect with learners emotionally or by evoking emotions and creating long lasting impressions in the learners’ minds. Some of the examples are:
- Scenarios,case-studies and visuals that learners encounter in their work
- Tone and style of instruction that is persuasive and convincing while having the command of
- Visuals which learners can relate to their daily lives
- Audio narration which engages the learners
iii. Physical Participation: It defines the strategies to enable learners to engage with the instruction and to provide control.
- Allowing learners to make certain choices while learning
- Including interactivities that ensure learners physically interact with the course
- Including exercises so that learners get adequate practice, and thereby, have better retention
2. Course-centric Strategy: This refers to the course content and the best way to present it so that it is engaging and effective. There are two aspects to it, the physical structure of the course content and the logical structure. Let’s learn about them in brief. These two aspects explain the strategies for structuring instruction to ensure effective learning and easy recall.
|Physical Structure||Logical Structure|
|Setting the course topics in a highly organizedmethod||Logical content chunks|
|Laying out the page content to give the experience of a structure||Instructions that help build effective mental models and patterns|
|Using the technique of visual mind mapping||Cue-based instructions that enable learners to retain chunks of content using cues|
Hope you find this blog informative. We will discuss about the other two elements in the upcoming blogs. Do share your views.