An eLearning course should be designed and developed in such a way that it makes the learning experiences engaging and memorable to the learner.Therefore, designing and developing eLearning courses involves a number of principles and practices.
Specially if you are intending to outsource your eLearning requirement to vendors, you and your vendor partners should go through these steps.
Let us see some of the best practices to be considered while developing an eLearning course.
1. Conduct a kick off Meeting: A good kick-off meeting with the vendor and his team is a must. Having this quick thorough meeting will set your expectations; it helps your vendor partner to understand your learning objectives, content and project plan. It is advisable to have your subject matter expert along with the eLearning manager of your company in the kick off meeting to discuss the project requirements in detail.
SME of the company < ->eLearning Manager< -> Project manager of the vendor company<-> Development Team
This can establish a better understanding of the project plan and can help in better visualization of your project to get the expected output.
2. Identify your target group: During the kick-off meeting you should be able to describe your target group to the vendor after communicating with your subject matter experts. If possible, also share the preferred style of learning, prior knowledge on subject and also their roles and responsibilities in the organization. This understanding of the target group becomes the foundation for developing the course.
3. Follow-up on the project plan: Share your timelines and follow-up on the timelines to get the project completed on time. If in case of delay make sure that the plan is updated by the vendor and keep your team informed about the delay.
4. Get an approval on the Storyboard: Make sure that the course is sent to the subject matter experts for review and only if it is approved by them the course should be sent to the vendors for making the changes or to start with the development. This can help you get a quality-oriented course.
5. Get your user-friendly courses designed with rapid authoring tools: Authoring tools are with a set of predefined templates for developers to fill the content. Choice of these tools depends on the training requirement, nature of content and available development time. It should support the learner to integrate all learning materials during learning, thus helping them to improve knowledge skills and attitude.
6. Let the courses have graphics, animations to make learning interactive: Graphics and animations that are used should convey the content maintaining the balance between the visuals and the text. Graphics and animations used should help your learners to recollect the learned content while performing their action.
7. Use a Learning Management System: A Learning Management System (LMS) is a software application or web-based platform that helps you to organize and provide access to online learning for your employees, customers or, partners . It also helps to track learners’ progress and performance across various training programs.
8. Final course review: Lastly, check whether all the changes are done correctly; see the content is with appropriate images or graphics. Finally, give the sign off on the project according to the project plan.
Hope these practices will help you in developing quick eLearning courses! Do share your views on these practices.