Why do organizations conduct training and development programs? What are the different types of training delivery methods? Which training delivery method is cost effective for the organizations?
Every organization needs to train and develop its employees to sustain its position in the market and to grow as a market leader.
Major benefits of employee training:
- Increases Productivity: Teaching the basic skills required to perform their job effectively increases the knowledge of confidence of employees, and thus increases the productivity of the organization.
- Incorporates Change: Training the employees on the new processes, duties, and responsibilities will help them adapt to the changes in the industry.
- Reduces Costs: Compliance training reduces fines and law suits against the company; safety training improves on-the-job safety, etc.
Organizations must continue to train its employees even with budget constraints, because through training you can always reap! There are different methods through which trainings can be delivered to employees.
The major classification of training delivery methods:
- Classroom training/Instructor Let Training (ILT)
- Online training/eLearning/ Web-Based Training (WBT)/ Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Blended learning
- Mobile learning (M-Learning)
Every training program intends to increase the profitability of the organization. But not all training programs are cost effective. Among the various training delivery methods, you have to select the best delivery method that suits your training requirements, fits in your budget, and is preferred by your employees.
Cost-effectiveness of the training delivery methods:
|Training Delivery Method||What is it?||Who Is Involved During the Training?||Cost Effectiveness||Employee Comfort|
|Classroom training||A trainer/ SME conducts the training and delivers information to the employees.||Employee should attend the training at a specific time and location|
|Online training/ eLearning/ WBT/ CBT||Training is delivered with the use of the Internet. The training includes a variety of media like text, images, videos, simulations, etc., to teach the employees.||Employees||Employees are free to take the training at any place and at any time.|
|Blended learning||This method combines classroom and online learning. The employee learns partly from online training and partly from classroom training.||Employees are required to complete the online training before they attend the classroom training or vice versa.|
|M-Learning||This is used to deliver bite-sized information (less than 10 minutes training) to the employees on their mobiles or iPads.||Employees||Employees are free to take the training at any place and at any time.|
From both the perspectives, cost effectiveness for organizations and the comfort level of employees, I feel that online training, eLearning or mLearning are the best choices. Though instructor-led trainings are unavoidable in a few scenarios (management, leadership, and motivational classes), you can always make the most out of online trainings in all other scenarios (product trainings, process trainings, compliance trainings, sales trainings, etc.).
This was my opinion about cost-effective training delivery methods. For a minute imagine yourself as the learner and let me know your views by answering this question:
As an employee how would you prefer your training sessions to be?
- I would like to attend a training session on a specific date and at a specific time.
- I would prefer to take up the training at any location and at any time based on my convenience.
- I would like to complete a 3-hour training program at a stretch with one or no breaks.
- I would like to complete a 3-hour training program at my own pace, taking breaks whenever needed.
If you have selected the 2nd and 4th options, you prefer the freedom of online learning. Thank you for answering the question. Have a great day!