Do you think companies get better ROI using latest technologies for training? Does such training enhance their employees’ learning and performance?
Well! Let me share a few thoughts with you on the role that technology plays in conducting effective training while maximizing learner retention.
Blending technologies refers to using more than one medium for training, such as using a hosting platform apart from regular classroom training. This is said to enhance employees learning and performance.
Companies that invest in training their employees experience better ROI per employee than companies that do not invest in training. However, most of the experienced companies believe that to sustain competitive advantage, one must be able to adapt and learn faster.
Research shows that 80% of employees forget in less than 30 days what they had been taught during the traditional training programs, when there is no proper reinforcement and implementation of the knowledge gained.
Blended learning is not a new concept. It has been around for decades, but the definition has changed to include new technologies. So, today when organizations use blended learning, they address learners’ preferences in terms of the technology. Organizations prefer to use for reinforcement, engagement, and peer learning. This is because Gen Y employees are highly adaptive to new technologies.
Therefore, blending technologies is very useful in providing learners access to training that helps in reinforcing their learning effectively. You can blend technology by using:
- 1. E-learning for desktop versions,
- 2. Mobile learning for iPad, iPhone, Android, Symbian and Blackberry devices, and
- 3. Social learning.
So specifically how does blending technology help to enhance learning? Blended learning helps in:
- 1. Increasing reach and volume: Through blended technology, companies can increase the reach of their training initiatives and can cover a wider number of offices and remotely stationed employees.
- 2. Reducing cost per employee: Companies investing in training using blended technology approach receive maximum results from training initiatives by reducing the effort in re-organizing trainings.
- 3. Reinforcing learning for higher retention: By taking advantage of technology, companies can now provide training, followed by effective reinforcement mechanisms to retain learner’s knowledge.
- 4. Standardizing learning inputs: Companies can standardize the resources needed for training and learning through blended technology.
However, most of the companies need to upgrade their current infrastructure to take advantage of advancements in technology – better learning platforms, synchronous and asynchronous learning tools and m-learning Technologies. Organizations should also update their IT policies and social media policies to make them adaptable for social learning.
By utilizing latest technological advancements in training programs, companies can provide engaging training programs for their employees. They enable employees to reinforce their learning at their convenience by providing them the choice of how they wish to learn, and at their own pace.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: