It is a known fact that corporate culture varies from country to country. Some corporate practices that seem right in the United States may not sound convincing in other nations and vice versa.
According to a study conducted by LRN, an organization that helps the global organizations give principle performance, the three main challenges that decentralized/globalized organizations are facing today are as follows:
- How to develop a unified culture in all the countries that are interlinked in performing their operations.
- How to engage the workforce located at multiple locations in adopting a common culture.
- How to combat the complexities associated with the compliance and legal obligations in multiple locations.
This clearly shows that there is a strong need to bring the global workforce on a common platform to ensure uniformity with respect to culture. There is also a strong need to train the global workforce on a common unified corporate culture. Only then will global organizations perform equally well in all the countries as in their parent country.
Again, assigning training needs to the global workforce in their respective locations by respective native trainers may not bring a unified culture.. Corporate trainers may be from different backgrounds. Few corporate practices that seem right for one trainer at one location or country may be disregarded by another trainer in another location.
Thus, all that we need is a training on corporate culture, which is culturally neutral and is able to simplify the complexities associated with the cultural differences. Undoubtedly online training is one such possibility that serves the purpose.
Lets see what advantages online training or eLearning essentially provides, global organizations in particular, in overcoming the associated challenges apart from the general benefits that online training provides:
- Ensures cultural neutrality: Online courses are essentially developed culture neutral. Any cultural aspects realting to a particular country/caste/religion/creed, etc., are not communicated to the trainees.
- Promotes professionalism: Corporate employees enjoy the status of being professionals. Traditional training treats trainees as mere learners, which may not be liked by some.
- Brings about uniformity: One single course is accessed online by a number of employees. As the trainee is common to all the trainers, cultural differences communicated are minimal or almost zero.
Therefore, addressing the training needs through the online mode on unified culture brings the global workforce on a common platform and integrates them as one unit. It also aids employees to overcome the challenges associated with cultural differences.