One of our clients is a leading virtualization software company in California. They have a huge e-learning curriculum on product training in English, which they have developed using Articulate Storyline. Now they want to translate them into multiple languages to train their sales people in multiple regions across the globe. They want to complete the translation task in a quick turnaround time and with low cost. To meet client expectations, we followed these steps while translating courses into multiple languages.
- Finalize English Version: We confirmed with the client,whether the English course was finalized.This clarification will help us avoid rework. Any alterations made to the course in the English language will affect the translations because the changes have to the translated first and then the course has to be updated accordingly. Thisresults in additional expenditure and increases development time.
- Export .xml file: Generally, for translations, you will create a translation template by copying the text from the English course. But in Articulate Storyline, you can export the onscreen and audio text in the form of .xml file. By using this option, you can save a lot of time. The text in the graphics will not get exported into the .xml file. We have prepared a separate document to explain how to handle the translation of graphic text.
- Translations:We sent the exported .xml file to our professional translators to translate the course content into 12 languages. Always use skilled professionals to translate your learning content for better quality. We make a note to the translator that the .xml file code should not be translated.
- Proof reading: Once we received the translated files from our translator, we sent them to respective language proofreaders to review the content before course development. This step helped us to get minimal feedback after course development.
- Course Development: Once we received thereviewed files from proofreaders, we them imported using the import option. This import optionsaved us development time. We adjusted alignments and added graphics text manually. Synchronizing audio with the on-screen text was a big challenge to the developer. With the help of transliterations and pauses in the audio, we synched the audio with on-screen text.
- Quality Check: Finally, we published the course and made sure that the navigation steps worked properly;as a last measure, we checked for misalignment and overlapping text and corrected them.
By following all these steps, we quickly completed the translations with good quality.Hope you find this post interesting. Do share your views.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: