Are you planning to host and manage your training online? Want to deliver your trainings to the global audience and are not sure how to go about it? Training is your forte but are you lost when it comes to hosting the courses online? What are the typical questions that come to your mind when you want to take your training online? Can you get all your answers online without getting confused?
If you search online, you may rarely find straightforward simple explanation to the questions you may have; are you confused trying to choose from the multitude of options available for hosting courses online? What is the best solution that suites your requirement – that fits into the time and budget?
Here, I have compiled a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) by our customers who are planning to take their courses online. Hope these questions will be useful when you are exploring options for hosting your training material online.
1. What is required to host eLearning modules online?
There are many options available to host the eLearning courses online. It depends on your requirement.
- Website: E-learning can be accessed free without any security login. You cannot track the details of the users of the course, how much time they spent, or who completed the course.
- Portal: In addition to website features, you can add security login, track basic information like who took the course. You can generate some basic reports.
- Learning Management System: LMS is the best application for hosting and tracking. You can manage user accounts; you can see who all have accessed it, how much time they spent, what score or who completed successfully. You can generate reports to get any specific information.
2. What are the options available to host the LMS?
- Software as a service: LMS service provider will install the LMS on their server and provide the admin and users access details from their server.
- On-premise: TheLMS service provider will install the LMS on your existing or new/separate server and then handover all the access details. You may or may not share the access details once installed and the handover process is completed.
3. What are the basic features of LMS?
- Any LMS will have the following basic features:
- Secured login
- Customized look and feel
- Dashboard for current and completed trainings
- Calendar to display or register classroom trainings
- Ability to upload any training material
- Have the report generator module
- Built-in quick assessment tool
- Multilingual feature
- Should accept SCORM/AICC compliance courses
- Online certification features
4. What type of training material I can upload on LMS?
- SCORM/AICC-compliant courses
- Any documents such as PDF, PPT presentations, word documents, audio, videos, etc.
5. Can we use LMS for classroom training management?
Yes, you can easily manage classroom training via an LMS. Participants can view upcoming training sessions and send registration requests to their manager. Manager can view and approve the registration request. Trainers can monitor the participants’ registrations and classroom capacity. The waiting list option will also be available. Reminders and alerts will be sent by the LMS automatically.
6. Can I generate specific reports?
Yes, by default, LMS will have almost all the reports that you want to analyze. We also have the option to ask the LMS service provider to create customized reports according to your requirements.
7. Can I manage the LMS without LMS support from the vendor?
Yes. However, you should take the decision based on the team available with you. LMS support is a must to fix issues and its need is always felt no matter how intuitive the LMS design is. You can select the LMS support team within your organization or you can also outsource it to any other third-party vendor. The bottom line is that you should have a dedicated team to manage and administer you LMS.
8. Can I send weekly newsletters to all learners with a predefined template?
Yes, you can send newsletters to all registered users of the LMS. You can create templates and reuse it every week. You can also send the newsletter according to the user groups.
9. Is it possible to migrate to old training data into the LMS?
All trainings that happen offline or any training information available can be imported into the LMS using the training migration tool. All you need is to provide the information in an excel sheet. LMS administrator will convert it into the proper format and import it into the LMS.
10. Can I provide online certificate to learners?
Yes. It is possible to generate a dynamic certificate after successful completion of the course. Certificates can be stored in the LMS and users can download and print them whenever they want once they successfully complete the course. Administrators can monitor the certificates issued. Certificates can be customized to match your company’s standard design certificate.
11. Can I integrate the LMS with existing ERP systems?
Yes. It is possible to integrate your LMS with third-party applications such as SAP, CRM, SharePointWebEx, GotoMeeting, etc.
12. How much time is required to setup the LMS?
It depends on the type of customization and specific features you are looking at. All the LMS vendors have standard LMS that you can use as it is. The latest version of the LMS can be installed with basic customization within a week, once you provide all the users’ and courses’ details.
13. Can I sell courses online?
Yes, you can sell the courses online using free or paid payment gateways. Paypal is free but it does not work in some countries due to restrictions by that country. Some other paid payment gateways such as CCavenue will work everywhere. Users can pay using their credit card, debit card or net-banking online and get immediate access without need for the involvement of the LMS administrator. Email notification will be sent for all the transactions by the LMS automatically. Invoice generation is also available for bulk purchases.
14. How can I do bulk user enrollments?
You do not have to worry about enrolling multiple courses to many users. You can easily do it using the migration tool or the bulk enrollment feature in the LMS.
15. Can I give access to the LMS to a sub-administrator with certain permissions within their region?
Many of our customers asked this question. Yes we can divide the users based on the domain and give administration access. Those sub-administrators can create and assign the courses for which their domain belongs. They cannot view or edit the users or courses of other domain. Main administrators will have access to all the users and courses of any domain.
These are some of the frequently asked questions by our prospects and customers. I hope these FAQs will help make the right choice for your LMS .If you have any specific question that is not mentioned here, please feel free to comment on this blog and I will respond to you.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: