There were times when boundary lines were fairly clear between work and home life. Today, the likely chance of work invading into one’s personal life and vice versa seems to be far greater. To maintain work-life balance seems to be no simple task. But still it is within one’s reach, if one follows the simple steps listed here.
- Evaluate: Strike a work-life balance by evaluating your work-home relationships like listing out the amount of time you are spending at work and home.
- Plan: Start your day by taking care of the little things you have to do at home. A little planning is essential. Whatever be the need, make sure you take care of it before you leave for work. Taking care of home needs in advance will help you to be less tensed during working hours.
- Be Productive: Switch on to the work mode when you are at work. Be sure that you shut off the part of the brain that makes you worry about your home life. Remind yourself that it is work time and you need to be most productive. This will help you focus completely on your work, thereby completing it beforehand. Hereby, you can avoid taking home any work stress.
- Clear your Desk: Make sure that you clear your desk at the end of the day and file the remaining work for tomorrow. This will help you to clear your mind of work. When you are driving back home, make sure to stop thinking of work – whether accomplished or unaccomplished. The best way to do this is to play some music while you’re travelling.
- Focus on Home Life: While you are enjoying your home life, try to avoid intruding into work life by checking emergency e-mails or answering work- related phone calls. The best way to focus on home life will be crumbled to pieces if you intrude into your work life while at home.
Be sure to remember that striking a work-life balance is a continuous process, rather than a one-shot deal. At times, you may feel tempted to rack up hours at work, especially when you are in the process of managing an ever-increasing workload. Sometimes, it may demand overtime. Make sure that you are on the right track by examining your priorities as family interests and work life change periodically. Make adjustments accordingly.
Work and home life should be balanced. If there is a tilt in the balance there are chances of soaring stress levels.
Do share your thoughts on the same.
Live Webinars: Implementation of eLearning in Organizations!
Join free, live webinars that will illustrate the various aspects of eLearning design and development to make training more effective. The webinars are aimed at training and functional managers who wish to learn about how they can use and implement eLearning in their organizations.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: