Mind maps are like conceptual models. Before one actually constructs and arrives at the formulation of a design, it is vital and mandatory to make a thorough scrutiny of every detail that contributes to the final design. Sometimes, we arrive at a complex solution but with simple steps to follow. But, many times one encounters several complexities in order to arrive at a simple solution. In such cases, mind mapping provides clarity and adds definition to every detail. It makes sure that the minutest detail is not overlooked.
Mind mapping can be put to use effectively for:
- Education (studying and memorizing)
- Group mind mapping
- Note taking
- Creative problem-solving
Mind maps are usually drawn to suit an individual’s brain as to its functioning and thought process. However, mind mapping is an excellent vehicle for effective training purposes and team working. There are quite a few different ways in which mind maps can be used by groups. A simplistic method or means of using mind maps is called Brain Blooming.
Brain blooming is an alternative to the process of Brainstorming. It involves capturing of individual thoughts and then blending them with thoughts of others within a group. All individual ideas and notions are given equal value. Mind mapping for effective training is improvised further by involving the discussion of Basic Ordering Ideas or BOIs of every individual.
Basic ordering ideas are the initial concepts with which a host of main concepts can be structured. There are a number of different ways to work with the BOIs:
- Agreeing to work on BOIs on individual mind maps before combining with the others in the group would help ease the blend later. However, this may put a ceiling on creative senses.
- In order to promote different perspectives and approaches, it is not advisable to discuss BOIs ahead of time.
- It is very essential to facilitate enough time in order to accommodate everyone’s ideas.
Brain blooming is effective as it enlarges all the individual and group mind maps into one large mind map which makes sure that everyone feels his or her individual BOI is included. For those ideas that stand out of the box are also branched out under a separate ‘Miscellaneous’ album.
Advantages of group mind mapping:
- Every individual has enough time to think and produce his or her ideas.
- Equal value is been given to every idea and the basic ordering ideas that lead to secondary and tertiary concepts are considered and shared equally.
- Instead of eliminating ideas, they are grouped into different branches and assembled on the main theme branches.
Thus mind mapping, through the process of Brain Blooming, enjoys a lot of important advantages over the process of brainstorming. It is an absolutely fascinating and rich way of achieving clarity as every little step helps engage an individual’s brain.
Do share your thoughts on the same.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: