Workplaces today are more diverse than they were in the past. In general, an organizational approach to managing diversity includes accepting differences among employees and blending them into the organizational culture. Effective managers are aware that managing employees with diverse backgrounds calls for a different approach than it does for managing a group of employees with similar backgrounds.
Here are a few Do’s for managing diversity in the workplace:
1. Organizations should ensure that all HR policies (hiring, promotion, salary hikes and so on) are based on performance and do not discriminate against employees of any background. Managers monitoring the employees should know the ‘discrimination laws’ and the consequences of breaking them.
2. Organizations should provide diversity training. This will help employees to understand how to deal with the challenges of dealing with diversity in the workplace.
3. Managers should create an environment that makes employees feel like a part of the bigger team. To build trust among employees, managers should implement team-building exercises. Appreciating the contributions of various employees increases their confidence and morale and helps them to respect each other; thus helping in diversity management.
4. One more important thumb rule for managing diversity in the workplace is to create an atmosphere where employees can practice open communication. In business meetings, employees should be given a chance to speak and listen to others. They should also be given a suitable platform to express their concerns. It is important for the organization to treat the concerns of all employees equally.
5. Last but not the least, establish a diversity council. The diversity council deals with the development, implementation and review of the action plan for cultivating diversity. It is an opportunity to build accountability into the organization’s effort to manage diversity. The diversity council should also monitor complaints and investigate diversity-related issues.
Managing diversity in the workplace can pay rich dividends for an organization, because the strengths of diverse employees can be successfully leveraged for organizational growth.
Thanks for reading my blog. Do share your thoughts on the same.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below:
It is no exaggeration to say that effective instructional design is the crux of a good e-learning course. Well-designed online courses not only help transfer information to the learner, but also enable him to utilize it efficiently to enhance his performance.
E-learning is a highly effective training medium. According to a report released by IBM, companies who utilize online training tools and strategies have the potential to boost productivity by up to 50%. For every $1 that a company spends, it’s estimated that it can receive $30 worth of productivity.
Employee health and safety constitute the most important aspect for organizations and that’s the reason they invest in health and safety training. Providing appropriate training will help in making employees competent in health and safetyaspects and avoiding the financial costs related toaccidents and occupational ill health. These trainings are most effective when immediately incorporated into standard operating procedures, workplace practices, and individual job performance requirements.
It is well-known that products are the revenue generators of an organization and delivering good training to staff members on products is very important. But, how can firms provide impart product training of high efficacy to their people? Well, they need to use e-learning.
It is common knowledge that well-designed induction training programs go a long way in enabling new employees to perform efficiently. They provide all the needed information about the company and its policies. Good induction training programs help new personnel “get into the groove” quickly and effectively, by making the staff members feel at home.
Nowadays, creating e-learning is simple and easy, if you have tools like PowerPoint and Articulate Storyline. You can quickly publish them into e-learning and upload on to the LMS. But it is very important that the e-learning is engaging to the learners. To engage the learners, we try to add many interactivities and attractive visuals such as infographics and gaming assessments. In addition to these, there are other basic aspects to be considered to make your e-learning courses engaging.
E-learning today is being widely used for training adults. We are all aware of the fact that adults need to know why they should undergo training and what will they benefit by it. To fulfill this basic requirement of the adult learners, it has always been recommended that we frame measurable learning objectives.
Total quality management is a journey, not a destination.” (Berry).
Quality check is a process that determines whether all important elements of quality are met as per the set criteria. Quality control helps to keep up the accuracy and efficiency of the course.
Why is it that some online learning initiatives succeed, while others do not? Is there some secret formula to develop successful online training?
We work with individuals, training managers, organizations and companies to create online training programs. Based on our experiences with our customers, we understand the difficulties of traditional learning to put new e-learning ideas into practice. Here are some simple ways to improve your e-learning and online training very effectively.