As an Instructional designer, you may want to present a lot of good and beneficial information to your learners. However, how can you ensure that your learners will take up the course with great zeal and enthusiasm and your eLearning course will achieve its learning objectives? The effectiveness of learning and the ability of learners to embrace learning are mostly determined by their level of motivation.
Hence, you need to figure out what motivates your learners and develop the course accordingly. Otherwise, your efforts might just go in vain.
Here are a few motivational techniques that you can adopt when designing an eLearning course so that it is relevant and creates an impact on your learners.
- Ask Questions: An efficient way to get learners on-board is to ask them thought-provoking questions prior to taking up the course. This way, the learners will be naturally motivated to take up the course and curious about how the course would be beneficial to them. Asking questions will be a great start to engage learners and challenge their understanding. Another way can be presenting surprising statements to the learners about the content and explaining how the course would address them.
- Include a Video in the Beginning: Including a video in the beginning of the eLearning course could be a great medium to prompt learners to take up the course. Videos can be used effectively to invite the learners to think and analyze the course they are about to take. Videos can engage learners emotionally and encourage them to take up the course with great zeal and enthusiasm.
- Create a Scenario: Another important aspect to gain your learners’ attention is to create scenarios. Scenario-based learning will engross learners in real-life situations. Also, Scenario-based learning can present learners with the real world obstacles they are likely to face and help them expand the knowledge and skills needed to handle those obstacles. Scenarios can be used to develop decision making skills, and hence support active learning.
- Gamification: People have a natural, spontaneous response for competition, rewards, and appreciation. E-learning can be an effective platform to incorporate gaming elements and assessments to motivate learners complete the assessment activity. Relevant and specific feedback should also be provided to appreciate learners when they are correct, and provide specific reasons when they were incorrect.
- Make Your Course Interactive: An interactive eLearning course is a great way to keep your learners engaged throughout the course. Ensure that your learners just don’t sit back and view the content; instead make the course interactive by using various components such as slide shows, click on numbers, click on tabs, etc. This way, learners will be greatly encouraged and engaged in completing the course.
These are a few tips which, if implemented effectively in your eLearning courses, can encourage learners to complete them. Would you like to share your experiences with respect to taking or designing an eLearning course? Do share in the comments box below.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: