It is well-known that efficient instructional design goes a long way in making a digital course highly effective. But how can you make sure that you get the design of your eLearning course right? Well, here are the 3 instructional design fundamentals you must be aware of before developing an effective course.
1. Understanding the Learner’s Need
Before developing the storyboard the first and foremost thing is to know:
- Who the learners are?
- Their background
- Their learning styles
- In what context will they use the training?
- How much and what do they know about the content?
- Are they trainees or expertise in the field?
This will help you in designing and developing a course that caters to learner’s requirements.
2. Content Chunking
In simple words, content chunking is to cut down the heavy and complex information into byte size for better understanding. Introducing various topics at once will cause much confusion with loads of information on screen. When the long strings are broken into small chunks, it helps the learner to prioritize, organize and identify the core elements. Appropriate chunking helps the learner’s working memory to process information in a quick way.
Here is an infographic that gives you a good idea of what is content chunking and how it helps.
Capturing the Attention of the Learner
As there will be no instructor or a trainer in eLearning, it is important that we must engage the learner. The main advantage with eLearning is that it provides additional resources, references, and information as a support. In addition to resources, we must incorporate aspects like
- Using interactive animations to attract and enhance their learning, as animations explains the concept in a much simpler and in a best way.
- Quiz and assessments are a great option to engage the learner; we must incorporate formative assessments after each topic and summative assessments at the end of the course. This is to test the learner’s knowledge that will engage and indeed motivate them.
- Adding games to the course adds fun to learning and makes learning interesting.
That’s all about the three instructional design fundamentals that can help you in developing a good and attentive elearning course. Do you think there is more to add? Please do share.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: