My boss in my last job was an amazing person. He never ever behaved like one. He was a buddy to the young and old alike. His pep talk motivated people to work smart. He was the first to arrive and last to leave the office everyday. Under his tutelage, the company met its target. He was a true leader in all senses of the word. I have learned everything about being a good leader from him, though I do know that I have a long way to go to be like him.
Not everyone in life can easily imbibe good qualities to be an effective leader. The qualities that I think make a person stand out in the crowd are:
- A person should believe in his or her ability to be a good leader. If one is uncertain about one’s skills and capacity, one will never be able head a company.
- One must be a good communicator. To be a good communicator, one must always listen first, analyze and observe as action speaks louder than words. Accept relevant suggestions from colleagues and subordinates. A good communicator also puts across whatever needs to be done simply and effectively.
- A good leader is a man of character i.e. trustworthy and honest. He or she makes ethical decisions based on his or her own set of principles. A good leader encourages employees to be morally upright and stand up against wrongdoings.
- The first step to being knowledgeable is to be thorough at one’s work. A hunger for more knowledge and a good problem-solving ability, besides being a good guide to colleagues and subordinates are some pointers in this direction.
- A good leader can think, foresee future opportunities and give equal importance to the present. He or she should successfully encourage his or her colleagues and subordinates to think differently, recognize the need for change and work towards achieving a common goal, both professionally and personally.
- A good leader knows the importance of earning respect rather than demanding it. He should work to earn the respect of his team members and reciprocate the same. He should not discriminate between white and blue collared staff.
- A good leader has a positive attitude and encourages others to be positive even in a crisis. He should be able to control his emotions and encourage and motivate others to overcome lean patches in their professional lives by learning new skills.
- A good leader is committed to meeting his project deadlines and completing tasks on hand.
- When a plan goes awry or fails, it is a good leader who takes responsibility and acknowledges the team members for work done.
The above list is not an exhaustive one. Please feel free to add qualities you think are important to be a good leader.
Do share your thoughts with me on the same.