Most companies have a separate HR department or an Employee Relations Division that looks into developing sound employer-employee relationships. The core of sound employer-employee relations is based on effective methods for communication and participation, a safe and effective work environment and commitment and motivation of all staff. The aim of an Employee Relations or the HR department is to improve employer-employee relationship, empower productivity, motivation and morale, and prevent and resolve problems arising due to work situations.
Here are some pointers to achieve this:
- Open all channels of communication between the staff and employer at all levels. Employees should be informed about new changes or initiatives, etc. This enables them to take better decisions when required.
- Identify and focus on common areas of interest among staff.
- Anticipate and resolve conflicts wherever possible.
- Encourage employees to talk about their concerns and conflicts.
- Provide channels for conflict resolution and increase mutual trust amongst staff and employers.
- Make employees feel wanted. Management should try to find out about employees’ hobbies, birthdays and other occasions that are important to the employees. Being cared for by the Company makes employees feel secure.
- Respect employees at all levels, whether the office boy or project manager. Just because they work for your company does not mean that you can order them around. Treat them on a par with others and respect them.
- Respect all differences of opinions. This will give you an insight into the thinking of your employees. Employee could agree or disagree with management’s viewpoints.
The management should be fair to each of its employees. Showing partiality or bias towards a few employees will create a rift or discomfort amongst others.
The job should keep employees challenged. If the staff gets bored with the same kind of work, the morale of the worker will reduce and he will ignore his work duties. To keep the job interesting, the employer can arrange for training sessions which will enhance employees’ skill sets and more.
Employees are the most important asset of any company. To make employees feel at home at their workplace, it is important that the employer and employee communicate effectively with each other, set rules that are flexible and fair, but enforce positive discipline. This attitude will lead to work being done efficiently and increase profits as the Company does well.
Do share your thoughts on the same.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: