Before analyzing EQ and IQ, let us familiarize ourselves with what exactly these terms mean. Emotional Quotient (EQ) refers to an employee’s understanding of his or her emotions along with his or her colleagues’ emotions at the workplace to create better work coordination and environment. In one study, experienced partners with high EI in a multinational firm delivered $1.2 million additional profit from their accounts.
In contrast, Intelligence Quotient (IQ) defines the level of intelligence an employee possesses to understand, interpret, and implement one’s knowledge in varied situations, leading to his or her growth as well as the Company’s. Psychologists generally agree that among the ingredients for success, IQ counts for roughly 10% (at best 25%); the rest depends on everything else – including EQ. (Bressert, 2007)
IQ is mainly used to measure one’s cognitive capabilities, such as the capacity to learn or understand new situations; reasoning through a given predicament or setting, and the ability to apply one’s knowledge in current circumstances. Emotional Intelligence (EI) skills do not limit themselves to sympathy, intuition, imagination, flexibility, stress management, management, truthfulness, genuineness, intrapersonal skills and interpersonal skills, but extend far beyond these.
When working in an organization, an employee with a higher EI than others can convince his or her colleague(s) about a certain argument by appealing to their emotions rather than presenting facts and figures. While judging an individual’s EI, keep in mind these few points. An employee’s ability to:
- Comprehend and apply his or her personal emotions
- Express his or her feelings, beliefs, and thoughts
- Recognize and appreciate his or her own potential
- Manage his or her personal and professional life under stress and pressure
- Adapt to different work environments and handle varied challenges that come his or her way
- Possess self-confidence
- NOT only work towards the growth of the company but also toward the growth of his or her co-workers
For best results, employees must develop communication and organizational skills for good decision-making as well as good interpersonal relations with co-workers. An individual’s success rate at work depends on his or her EQ as well as IQ in the ratio 80:20.
Why 80:20? Well, because, EQ helps individuals build and maintain relations with peers and superiors, increases productivity, and opens doors for clarity in communication (good listening is integral to EQ). Research carried out by The Carnegie Institute of Technology shows that IQ can help you be successful to the extent of just 20 percent in life. The rest 80 percent success depends on your EQ; 80% EQ 20% IQ.
While hiring, corporates look at an individual’s EQ rather than IQ. Having a high IQ will help build interpersonal and intrapersonal skills to a certain extent, unlike EQ, which talks about one’s character based on the way he or she writes or replies to mail, collaborates and networks with peers and subordinates, and works towards attaining Company goals.
Do share your thoughts on the same.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: