Learning is an acquired process in response to man’s insatiable curiosity. Sheer attitude and self-discipline distinguish a common learner from an effective one. Thus, the million dollar question that arises is “how” to procure this skill. How can one embellish the learning process so that it becomes easier for us to assimilate?
Here are the ways which we all need to ponder over:-
1. Learning is one of the basic elements of the D-R-L-A cycle (Do–Review-Learn-Apply). It is one of the most important reflective approaches to learning which links up with more connected knowledge followed by devising a wide array of strategies. Once an effective learner abides by the cycle, it streamlines the process of learning as every subsequent step is inter-related to each other as a ripple in a pond.
2. According to human psychology, the more you practice, the more it gets attached to the system. It’s being observed that the more we practice, the amount of grey matter (in the brain) increases. Thus, we need to hone our learning skills through sheer practice.
3. Read professional journals/books/quality magazines, etc. Inculcate the reading habit as it helps to give a deeper insight into the latest research, trends and issues. Thus, it ensures increasing the landscape of learning.
4. Be inquisitive or curious to delve deeper into the resources so collected. Develop the tendency to come out of your own periphery and go beyond it.
5. Develop your own style of learning, such as visual, auditory, musical, verbal and logical. The onus is upon you to see which one suits you.
6. Ask questions and clarify your doubts. This is more relevant in a pedagogy style of learning. Don’t get bogged down by the fear of making mistakes or asking the wrong questions. No one gets everything right in the first try, and in order to really learn, you have to get it wrong, make mistakes and then keep going till you master it. Once your doubts are answered, take note of whatever you learn. Make a summary of it as this distills the information into its most important components. Go over the notes regularly to reinforce the information procured.
7. Be an active listener, get focused and avoid cram sessions. Thus, structure your process of learning. One good method you can apply to enrich the learning process is to use acronyms or mnemonics. You could also use a flash card with keywords.
8. Discuss what you’ve learned. Discussing or debating a subject with another person can give you a completely new perspective on any subject. It is an acid test of how much you have learned. Utilize your resources at your disposal.
9. Hone the learning skill by having an open mind and be pragmatic.
10. Lastly, be honest with yourself, because effective learners don’t skip work just because it is hard to do.
What are your favorite tips from the ones I’ve listed? Do share your views; I’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below:
Of all the things I’ve done, the most vital is coordinating the talents of those who work for us and pointing them towards a certain goal. – Walt Disney
It is well-known that effective management plays a key role in the success of an e-learning project. An efficient e-learning project manager leads from the front, makes the best use of the available resources and overcomes challenges to deliver a good online training solution.
The most important principle for designing lively e-learning is to see e-learning design not as information design but as designing an experience. – Cathy Moore
Is your learning content text-heavy? How can you present this content in an effective and learner-friendly manner? What does it take to design an effective e-learning course without cluttering the screen with textual elements? Well, you need to focus on 5 critical aspects. Check out this info-graphic to find out what they are and why they are very important.
E-learning is constantly evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of learners. It originated as computer-based training (CBT), and later metamorphosized as compact disc read-only memory (CD-ROM) training.
Dev Learn 2015 conference, which is going to be held in Las Vegas, USA from September 30 – October 2, has some very interesting sessions on technology-enabled learning. Our US and UK learning consultants Dr. Terry Heiney and Dr.Micheal Reakes will be attending this conference. Here are some of the exciting concurrent session topics.
If you are aiming at creating an effective and engaging course, you need to focus on one main aspect: Relevance. Prior to developing the online course, you need to ask yourself whether the course is relevant to your learners. Does the course offer what learners are looking for? Right from designing the GUI to presenting the content, every element you include should address the issue of relevancy.
E-learning is increasingly being used by organizations today. With the rise in the demand for online courses, organizations are facing challenges in developing courses within a short span of time. As they are not equipped to handle large volumes of work internally, they have to seek the help of outsourcing partners to fulfill their internal demand.
In order to create an engaging learning experience, the role of instructor is optional, but the role of learner is essential. – Bernard Bull
How can you create excellent e-learning courses that your people can instantly connect with? What does it take to ensure effective participation of your staff members in the learning process? Well, you need to design online courses that help personalize the training. Here is an info-graphic that shares a few proven tips to personalize e-learning courses.
The world of training and the nature of learners are changing, which means that it’s time to re-think and check out what the future holds. According to a survey conducted by Talent LMS, 79% of the participants (corporate learners and university students) shared that they would be more productive and motivated if the learning environment is similar to that of a game.
The pharmaceutical industry is arguably the most heavily regulated sector of the economy, and drug manufacturers need to comply with the various applicable norms and statutes to avoid costly penalties. But, how can pharmaceutical companies ensure effective regulatory compliance? Well, they need to educate their people on the laws and rules governing their industry.
Project teams (internal and/or external) working in e-learning project face many challenges in their day-to-day working. They need the project owner’s help to overcome those challenges.
In this blog, I would like to share some of the challenges faced by the external project team and how being an owner or sponsor of the project, you can help them in the smooth running of the project within stipulated time, cost, and quality.