Demotivation is contagious: even one demotivated employee who constantly cribs about work or other undesirable factors can quickly work on demotivating others too. Organizations are prone to the dangers of demotivation at all times. However, it’s important to be aware of it and to recognize and tackle it without delay.
To tackle demotivation effectively, an organization must know the reason behind its lackluster attitude. If a boss or colleague can help motivate such a coworker, it could go a long way to boost the employee’s morale and motivate him to be optimistic and have a positive attitude.
Causes of Employee Demotivation:
- Lack of Appreciation: An employee feels unappreciated for his efforts.
- Too much Work: An employee feels overburdened with a disproportionate chunk of work which renders him unable to perform his duties well and punctually.
- Lack of Clarity in Work: An employee flounders at work due to lack of clarity on his various tasks.
- Favoritism: These refer to unfair practices that favor one worker over another.
- Mistrust: This deals with an employee resorting to micromanaging everything, displaying mistrust in a coworker’s capabilities.
- Miscommunication: Free flow of information is withheld or information is provided only on a “need-to-know” basis. This can be demotivating as it proves that the boss or organization does not fully trust its employees to share all available information on a project.
What Managers Can Do?
- Listen and get involved: Listen to the said and the unsaid. Body language can speak volumes about the atmosphere in an organization, read it and do the needful, if it needs correction.
- Promote Teamwork: Teamwork is the way to go, pitting one against the other can only be counterproductive.
- Praise and Encourage: Simple praise and words of encouragement for a task well-done are always welcome.
- Give Information Freely: Let people know of your plans and change of plans, if any.
- Appreciate and Acknowledge: Appreciation of a task and acknowledgement of efforts put in are wonderful morale boosters.
- Show concern and extend help whenever possible: This makes life easier and better both for the employee and the organization.
Everyone needs to be motivated or enthused in all aspects of life. Motivation is the key to a happy and productive organization. For an employee to work well, the essence of motivation lies in him putting in his entire effort into his work and, at times even to go beyond doing prescribed tasks.
Motivation plays an important role in employee productivity, quality and speed of work. When employees lack motivation, these factors are greatly affected. So, a positive and motivated environment at the workplace is important to keep employees motivated and enthused.
Do share your thoughts on the same.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: