The first step of an instructional design process is analysis. We analyze the inputs provided by the stakeholders, but most of the time, we don’t receive all inputs at once. And this is true especially for curriculums with many modules. But we are asked to analyze those inputs and come up with a strategy and a prototype, which is quite challenging. This is what exactly happened with me. But, it worked!
In this post, I will share how important it is to consider many factors while coming up with a strategy.
Assuming that all the modules would be developed the same way, we first analyzed the audience and their demographics, and then, the content. The learners are government officials, NGO partners etc. and Indians. It’s said that this audience treat the trainer as a ‘guru’ and would love to listen to him, discuss and learn things. They were all adults (35-50 years).
Keeping all these factors in mind, we thought a class room training environment with a discussion between the trainer and trainees would be ideal. So, visually, we came up with a scenario involving a training room, a trainer and 4-5 trainees. We ensured that the characters were in Indian attire and ‘gave’ them designations. The trainees were inspectors, sub inspectors, constables etc. from different departments. The trainer was a commissioner (an official with a higher designation). Since they love to listen, we presented more content in audio where the trainer talks and discusses with the trainees and less content on the screen.
Coming to the content, since it was about compliance to the act on prohibition of drugs, scenario-based learning would be the best method to teach the content. Instructionally, the content should have a logical flow, so we used the trainer to introduce the act, then present the guidelines and give more details about the act, and lastly, ask some questions. We made these questions engaging by adding some humor. Since the content is about the act and violations of the act which would lead to severe punishments, we used the game ‘Hangman’. Choosing an incorrect option would send the character/avatar to the gallows. We also used buzzers (sounds) for correct and incorrect answers.
At the end of each chapter, we included scenario-based questions to complete the learning. To make these scenarios interesting, we gamified them by including elements such as time and score.
With all these, we developed a small prototype using Articulate Storyline. This tool helps develop the course quickly and is also compatible with iPads and tablets.
It’s very important that we analyze the audience and content thoroughly, so that we get some ideas in the initial stages to come up with an effective strategy. To check if we are up to the expectations of the client, its better we send the strategy in a written format and also a 2-3 slide prototype or a draft proof of concept.
Subscribe to Our Blogs
Get CommLab's latest eLearning articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below: